Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Thoughts on a crosstrek

• 4 Replies

Offline Repoman73

• Kangaroo Rat
Thoughts on a crosstrek
« on: October 24, 2018, 08:32:20 AM »
So I traded in my lifted Wrangler with 35s.  Broke my heart but it made good sense financially.  I tried to ease the pain with a Crosstrek with AT tires and a 1 1/2 lift.  I am thinking of putting some skid pads on it but I won't be able to for awhile. 

Think I can make it down Old Ore Rd, Pine Canyon and Paint Gap with it?  I really want to stay at Mckinney Springs, PC 5 and that last one on Paint Gap.  Those are all my favorite sites.

Offline Hang10er

• Black Bear
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
Re: Thoughts on a crosstrek
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 09:41:13 AM »
Can't speak to those other roads but I drove to the last site on Paint Gap road last year in a plain on Chevy Silverado pick up, 2WD, no lift, no problem.  Took awhile! 
Only issue was meeting a truck coming out.  Luckily, he had a big ole' rig and was able to off road around me.  Seems he was from the private ranch just to the north. 

Online House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 11:47:12 AM »
No problem. Take it slow. Would be good if you had a spotter at a couple places on the Old Ore Road, but Iíve made it through in a RAV4 by myself. Make sure your spare is in good shape, and a tire repair kit with all the necessaries would be a good idea. Carry plenty of water, just in case you have to wait for help.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline Repoman73

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 07:09:07 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 07:18:20 PM »
So I traded in my lifted Wrangler with 35s.  Broke my heart but it made good sense financially.  I tried to ease the pain with a Crosstrek with AT tires and a 1 1/2 lift.  I am thinking of putting some skid pads on it but I won't be able to for awhile. 

Think I can make it down Old Ore Rd, Pine Canyon and Paint Gap with it?  I really want to stay at Mckinney Springs, PC 5 and that last one on Paint Gap.  Those are all my favorite sites.

Old Ore Road from the north to McKinney Springs can be pretty rough depending on when it was last maintained.  We have done it many times in a 2 wheel drive F150 with highway tires and no lift. You might try it given the lift kit but you should also be ready to turn around and revise to permit to stay elsewhere.  The only significantly rough stretch of Paint Gap is from PG 3 to 4. We have done it a number of times in a standard 2 wheel drive F150 without even coming close to a problem.  It is more likely that you can make it to PG 4 than McKinney Springs particularly if OOR hasn't been maintained recently.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!