Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Marathon Road

• 3 Replies

Offline Frogdown

• Jack Rabbit
Marathon Road
« on: October 11, 2009, 04:10:58 PM »
Has anyone driven Marathon Rd lately?  What were the conditions?  I am NOT asking about the paved road from Marathon.  Marathon Rd is a dirt road from Terlingua ranch across to 385.

Offline MBill

• Kangaroo Rat
Re: Marathon Road
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 05:28:07 PM »
I was on it a couple of weekends ago and it was in excellent condition.  There was the ever present area of silty-like sand closer to the Terlingua Ranch entrance side, but not too bad at all.  Overall, all roads that I encountered in the park at that time were in very good shape. (Black Gap was rough though)

Offline Matador

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 05:40:47 PM »
Drove it yesterday (Sunday) in 4WD truck with no problems. Never had to engage 4WD, but a low clearance sedan could have difficulty in a couple of washouts.  Vegatation is overgrown since last time 2 years ago, but no pinstriping encountered.P

Offline riverrat

• Diamondback
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 05:54:22 PM »
Re kindling a very dead thread but we were thinking about doing this drive while out there around this coming New Years. I know things can change rapidly out there but sometimes things stay the same, too. ;) Any updates will be appreciated!

Moderator Note: see the Terlingua Ranch Road topic.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 08:50:19 PM by RichardM »
Living so close to paradise, it is unbelievable.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!