Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

newbie, Black gap to river road route concerns.

• 8 Replies

Offline JTTX

• Kangaroo Rat
newbie, Black gap to river road route concerns.
« on: May 20, 2019, 12:46:14 AM »
Has anyone ever done this route? I know it's completely out of the way but I really wanted to experience black gap and river road before heading over to Candelilla. Any estimates on how long this will take if we start at Glenn spring? any input is greatly appreciated, first-timer trying to fit as much as I can into five days. thanks
I attached a google maps link which is absurdly long and for that, I apologize, I couldn't get a screenshot to fit.

https://goo.gl/maps/QwAd3HCMQbjefzs86

Moderator Note: If you click on the share button, Google Maps gives you a shortened URL.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 07:41:59 AM by RichardM »

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Re: newbie, Black gap to river road route concerns.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 07:46:13 AM »
Has anyone ever done this route? I know it's completely out of the way but I really wanted to experience black gap and river road before heading over to Candelilla. Any estimates on how long this will take if we start at Glenn spring? any input is greatly appreciated, first-timer trying to fit as much as I can into five days. thanks
I attached a google maps link which is absurdly long and for that, I apologize, I couldn't get a screenshot to fit.

https://goo.gl/maps/QwAd3HCMQbjefzs86

Moderator Note: If you click on the share button, Google Maps gives you a shortened URL.

First question: What vehicle will you be driving? 4WD?

Is this what you have in mind?
https://goo.gl/maps/yb3PSzY4QFyVsKtz6

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 08:25:33 AM »
Using Richard's map:
Pavement to Black Gap road turnoff (Glenn Springs) is about 40 minutes.
Black Gap road to Mariscal mine is about an hour. 
Mariscal mine back to pavement on River road is about an hour.
River Road east intersection with pavement to your camp site at Candalilla is about a 15 minute drive.
Total is about 3 hours without stopping at the mine to explore.  Exploring the mine can take a good 2 hours if you walk around some.

You doing this soon, in the summer?  The ground will be so hot out in Candalilla, you will most likely be miserable and unable to sleep.  Stay up high in the basin if tent camping.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 08:35:55 AM by elhombre »
For 2 years the Fake News Media, Obama's FBI, CIA & DOJ, and Swamp dwelling Politicians COLLUDED, Illegally Spied,and LIED to America about POTUS in order to overturn an election

All the while demanding censorship and removal of opposition Conservative "hate speech" voices.  Globalists Hate Freedom

Offline JTTX

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 10:55:23 AM »

First question: What vehicle will you be driving? 4WD?

Is this what you have in mind?
https://goo.gl/maps/yb3PSzY4QFyVsKtz6
That map is right, appreciate the help.
I'll be in a very capable 4wd Tacoma, and we will have a pretty much bone stock wrangler with us as well, which I am a little bit worried about.
Using Richard's map:
River Road east intersection with pavement to your camp site at Candalilla is about a 15 minute drive.
Total is about 3 hours without stopping at the mine to explore.  Exploring the mine can take a good 2 hours if you walk around some.

You doing this soon, in the summer?  The ground will be so hot out in Candalilla, you will most likely be miserable and unable to sleep.  Stay up high in the basin if tent camping.

That is not as long as I thought, thank you. I am interested in exploring the mines, however.  We are going in two weeks so noted, we'll have to find an alternative. That's the kind of information we would have had to find out the hard way so very much appreciated.

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 11:11:51 AM »
The trails aren't terrible unless it's been raining.
The stock Wrangler should be ok, unless it's got highway tires.  Then I'd make sure they have a tire repair kit and spares.
The question is what kind of driving experience does the the wrangler driver have?
Here's my video from 4 years ago on BGR, it'll give you a good idea of conditions of that trail.

"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 11:13:44 AM »
Glenn Springs Road heading from Black Gap back to pavement.  Back in 2014 it was in good condition.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 01:02:15 PM »
Using Richard's map:

That is not as long as I thought, thank you. I am interested in exploring the mines, however.  We are going in two weeks so noted, we'll have to find an alternative. That's the kind of information we would have had to find out the hard way so very much appreciated.

Rumor has it that elhombre might drive the backroads a bit faster than average. ;) Your mileage will vary.

Online Mesquito

• Roadrunner
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 04:35:08 PM »
When I first bought my Wrangler and it was still in stock condition I did Black Gap and Old Ore Road. My brother was in his lifted Tacoma. He has a Wrangler now.

Offline rickd

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 02:00:00 PM »
Me and my son both did Black Gap this past Saturday. I drive a stock wrangler, with 32" offroad tires, he drives a lifted wrangler with 35" offroad tires. This was my second time driving the road. The first time I drove Black Gap, I went south to north. Saturday we went north to south. Going this north-south direction was more challenging. The road takes approximately 2 hours to complete because of the obstacles.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!