Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

RAV4 or 4Runner?

• 22 Replies

Offline Txlj

• Black Bear
Re: RAV4 or 4Runner?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 03:40:02 AM »
Ill stay with the jeep.

Sent from flat land

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 07:29:21 AM »
Ill stay with the jeep.

Don't get me wrong - I still drool over them...... :icon_cry:

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 10:00:57 AM »
Ill stay with the jeep.

Don't get me wrong -

Or me. In my dreams, I'm always driving my old CJ.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline Imre

• Diamondback
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2018, 03:29:52 PM »
A belated thank you to everyone who shared their advice. I decided on the RAV4. After my next trip to the park, I'll add one more photo to the 'picture of you vehicle in the Big Bend' thread.
Cheers
Imre
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong.
- H.L. Mencken

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2018, 04:36:01 PM »
A belated thank you to everyone who shared their advice. I decided on the RAV4. After my next trip to the park, I'll add one more photo to the 'picture of you vehicle in the Big Bend' thread.
Cheers
Imre

:great:  Wishing you good fortune with the RAV, Imre, and here's to many productive trips. Looking forward to a pic and your feedback from the field.

Offline Buck

• Black Bear
  • Jose' is Lonely
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2018, 08:30:39 AM »
Plan for the worst hope for the best.

This in spades.

I've had the brakes go out in an '83 Suburban while in the park (1991) - I carry bailin' wire and used it to wire up the locking mechanism on the emergency brake so I could use it like a foot brake on the drive to the dealership in Alpine. 

Once we were in my buddy's '93 Trooper (2006) when it decided to blow a sensor north of Marathon where cell phone coverage was nonexistant.  We had plenty of climbing rope and after waiting about 30 minutes a helpful oilfield worker who didn't speak a lick of 'merican stopped then happily pulled us into Ft. Stockton.

Fate spared me an incident in 1994 when I decided to drive an '88 Tercel down the OOR from top to bottom - I only had to get out and stack rocks for ramps in a couple of spots and made it without incident.  Not smart.

In general I prefer vehicles that don't have lots of electronic nannies that shut everything down in inconvenient places - it's best to go to the forums or off-road forums for your particular flavor of vehicle and get the skinny on how to bypass (paperclips and jumper wires) or disable them.
"Hey, how 'bout a Fandango..?"

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2018, 01:03:25 PM »
Plan for the worst hope for the best.

This in spades.

I've had the brakes go out in an '83 Suburban while in the park (1991) - I carry bailin' wire and used it to wire up the locking mechanism on the emergency brake so I could use it like a foot brake on the drive to the dealership in Alpine. 

Hahaha! That's classic. Never underestimate the value of bailing wire. Back in 1988, I helped our chicken-bus driver use bailing wire to reconnect linkages (twice!) so we could get out of the Peten and make it south to Guatemala City. Once there, a handful of us gringos and a few camioneros still wound up pushing the bus through the city streets to the main station. A decade later, my wife and I were exploring the largely unexcavated ruins of Caracol in Belize when our 4x4 suffered all kinds of failures and I coke-canned, taped, and bailing-wired my way back to civilization.

Fate spared me an incident in 1994 when I decided to drive an '88 Tercel down the OOR from top to bottom - I only had to get out and stack rocks for ramps in a couple of spots and made it without incident.  Not smart.

Maybe not smart, but impressive. Anyone that can complete the OOR in a Tercel is no ordinary person.

In general I prefer vehicles that don't have lots of electronic nannies that shut everything down in inconvenient places - it's best to go to the forums or off-road forums for your particular flavor of vehicle and get the skinny on how to bypass (paperclips and jumper wires) or disable them.

:great: Wise advice when planning to travel far afield. I'm not sure I can do that anymore. The vehicles are smarter than me now.

Online mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2018, 02:06:51 PM »
Made it all the way back to Houston in 1973 with a coke can repair on the exhaust pipe after it dropped off in front of the muffler on the Grapevine Hills road.   :icon_eek: :dance:
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!