Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Recommendations / advise for first time with 3 full days

• 6 Replies

Offline jmulc

• Kangaroo Rat
Recommendations / advise for first time with 3 full days
« on: December 20, 2017, 01:38:16 PM »
First time at big bend coming up this weekend, will be spending 3 full days at the park and hoping for input on routes, hikes, campgrounds, must see spots, and general insider advise.

Will be my girlfriend and I with a stock Wrangler. Solid hiking/camping experience. Newish to off road

My thoughts so far: (but very open to suggestions)
Coming in on 385 and will get passes early AM at Persimmon Gap visitor center

Day 1: Old Ore Rd south to River Rd & up Glenn Springs
Check out hot springs & RG village - campground along Glenn Springs

Day 2: Emory Peak via Juniper Canyon Trail
Looks to be ~17 miles - anyone ever done this in a day? Is there a better Chisos day + hike?
Would like a tough, long hike, but scenery and views are top priority. Avoid holiday crowds if possible

Day 3: Would like to get to Santa Elena via Black Gap and River Rd but sounds like that might take 10 + hours. Good spots that fit better?

Any and all input is much appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Buck

• Black Bear
  • Jose' is Lonely
Re: Recommendations / advise for first time with 3 full days
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 02:28:41 PM »
That sounds like an ambitions but doable itinerary provided you don't have any mechanical (or other issues).  If you like to boogie that's your huckleberry.  I've 4-wheeled all over the San Juans, so Big Bend's 4WD experience for me is largely just an exercise in driving on rough, dusty roads to get to places where I can get out and spend time in extremely remote parts of the park on foot.

I would encourage you to plan some time to walk out into the desert, sit down on a rock and contemplate the BIGNESS of it all... 
"Hey, how 'bout a Fandango..?"

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 02:39:16 PM »
I'll have to leave the 4x4 questions for someone with a real off-road vehicle to answer.  :icon_rolleyes:

I haven't heard of anyone hiking Emory Peak from Juniper Canyon. That'd be a knee-killer for me. Most folks do Emory as a day-hike from the Basin.

Offline Imre

• Coyote
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 03:30:53 PM »
Emory Peak via Juniper Canyon Trail

:eusa_hand: I would forget the peak. I'd suggest a day hike to the south rim. Up the pinnacles, down laguna meadow. A "tourist trail" to be sure, but the rim is awesome. Twelve miles roundtrip (as opposed to your planned 17); you can slow down and enjoy the hike.

Hope this helps

Offline Homer Wilson

• Diamondback
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 03:39:21 PM »
Emory from Juniper would be about a 4000' elevation gain.  It's definitely doable, but a big chunk of your time will be stuck in Juniper Canyon.  While you'll have some nice views of Crown Mountain and Townsend Point towering above you, it's not the most scenic part of the Chisos in my opinion.  For a desert to mountain hike, I think blue creek is better, plus you can hit the south rim pretty easily.

Offline Hang10er

• Diamondback
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 03:54:36 PM »
If scenery and views are the goal, I'd skip Emory and do the South Rim (as others suggested).  Start in the basin and if you feel up to it and have time, you could do the side trail and still knock off Emory before coming back down. 

While up there, look for Santa Elena Canyon and decide if you want to hit it the next day.  That's another must do for scenery and views in my opinion.  You can make a desert day with the short trails you'll pass enroute to Santa Elena. 

Online presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 04:26:46 PM »
stock Wrangler.  Newish to off road

In Big Bend, ground clearance is more important than 4WD. Most park roads can be driven, with due care for conditions, by many vehicles. Unless it's recently rained to the extent there is large runoff, you shouldn't encounter anything your Jeep cannot negotiate.

Big Bend backcountry roads are zero challenge to anyone having even moderate 4WD experience.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!