Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Rincon 1

• 11 Replies

Offline Leon

• Kangaroo Rat
Rincon 1
« on: February 20, 2018, 08:34:24 AM »
 New here but been done some lurking and searching. Great wealth of information here, you guys and gals rock. :eusa_clap:

I've been to Big Bend twice and coming back a 3rd time in march. Going to Chinati hot springs 1st then BBRSP. My girlfriend reserved RINCON 1 campsite. How tough is the drive to this place? And how long can I expect it to take if the drive goes smoothly?

I have driven many thousands of miles on Texas beaches the two beaches I fish the most are notorious for terrible driving. So I'm experienced in the aspect of beach driving. But desert is a new one for me. I'll be driving an stock 4x4 f150 with e load all terrains/ridge grapples.

Scratches dents and dings are not of concern for my truck. I bought it for getting me places I want to get to. As long as the damage is superficial it's all good memories in my book. I have extra spare tires, compressor, plug kit, jacks&stands, straps, chain, extra coolant & oil. Basically all the stuff that stays in my truck.

Looking very much forward to this trip. It's very much needed..been working nonstop since mid December. Shutdowns at a chemical plant are all hands on deck until the process is up and running again.

Have a great day yall!
Leon

Offline Txlj

• Black Bear
Re: Rincon 1
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 01:46:36 PM »
You should be fine with the truck. You seem to be carrying all the trail things needed. The state park roads are a little rougher than the national park but is still an easy ride if you take your time. West Texas pin striping, you can count on. Just slow down, enjoy the ride and sights and realize your on Terlingua time. No reason to rush.

Sent from flat land

Offline Mesquito

• Roadrunner
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 06:01:43 PM »
I would expect a longish hour from the highway to the headquarters and another longish hour to Rincon. So, 3-4 hours total.

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 06:48:53 PM »
A great way to break up the drive to the headquarters is to stop at  Las Cueavas, it's a very interesting tuff formation, right alongside the road. The formation can be seen from a good distance, there's parking and at least one sign. Spend some time looking around there's lot's to see.

Offline Leon

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 07:14:39 AM »
Sounds great thanks for the heads up! And hourish doesn't sound bad at all. Some beach trips it's 4hours of slow going rough 4x4

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 11:25:28 AM »
You'll be fine. Just make sure that you get a map and understand that you are driving to the bottom of a canyon via some steep roads and traversing a gravelly canyon bottom. Make sure that you bring everything you need because once you are down there, you are pretty much on your own.
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline Leon

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 12:14:16 PM »
I'll definitely have as many maps that I can get my hands on and have lots of supplies

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 12:44:16 PM »
I've got E rated Ridge Grapplers too.
Last time there, we aired down to 18 psi as soon as we hit Casa Piedra road.  We stayed aired down the whole time there until just before we hit pavement, 4 days later.
Your Girlfriend, suspension and your back will thank you.
You'll need a compressor to air up, if you don't have one. Otherwise drive slowly back into Presidio to air up at the gas station.

Beach driving is a little different than driving in BBRSP.
For me, I always drive slow and watch the line you take. Sidewall punctures are "no bueno" out there.  Granted, your E Rated tire should do well, but no guarantees out there.
I carry a tire plug kit and a spare.

Here's a great map that's downloadable (I used it on my tablet with GPS):
https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/big-bend-ranch/maps/discovery-map

Here's a guide to 4x4'ing in the park. 
https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_p4501_0152k.pdf

Have fun!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 12:50:04 PM by BlindWilly »
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline Leon

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 11:17:56 AM »
I have air compressor, plug kit, good spare, tow straps, chain, jack stands, jacks

Offline Mesquito

• Roadrunner
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 02:45:42 PM »
Just got back.  Iíve been in the park at least a dozen times and what I recommend is a pair of trekking poles.  The Rincon area is pretty flat but on the whole Bbrsp is very rugged.  Trekking poles really open up the country and probably prevented several vacation-ruining wrecks for me. 

Offline Leon

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 09:34:40 PM »
Trekking poles are on the check list! They have some miles on them from when they hiked the Appalachian Trail the other year. I should have quit my job and joined them for 6 months.

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 07:56:05 AM »
Trekking poles are on the check list! They have some miles on them from when they hiked the Appalachian Trail the other year. I should have quit my job and joined them for 6 months.

:s_laugh:
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!