Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

River Road in a Suburban

• 3 Replies

Offline TxGypsyGal

• Brandi 😌❤️
  • Jack Rabbit
River Road in a Suburban
« on: November 07, 2019, 02:13:18 PM »
What section of River Rd (if any) would be reasonable to attempt in a 2WD suburban in the spring? How does it compare to other unpaved roads in the park such as Grapevine? Is is completely not maintained or just unpaved? Thanks!
“None of Nature’s landscapes are ugly so long as they are wild.” ― John Muir

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
Re: River Road in a Suburban
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 04:47:42 PM »
I've driven the east side, from RGV to Mariscal Mines, in a Suburban and had no issues (well, I did scrape my trailer hitch coming out of a wash, but just once).

Offline Mesquito

• Roadrunner
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 05:35:55 PM »
I've driven the east side, from RGV to Mariscal Mines, in a Suburban and had no issues (well, I did scrape my trailer hitch coming out of a wash, but just once).

I’ve driven the other half, having come in from Black Gap. I was really surprised at how good the road was.  The only potential issues would be loose sand or mud.  There was none two years ago but conditions change.

Online Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 05:55:55 PM »

We have done that portion of River Rd. in subcompact cars numerous times with no problem.  As long as there's been no rain recently it shouldn't be a problem.  The park is good about shutting it down when it's too wet.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!