Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

If you've ever thought of buying a packraft, now is the time!

• 0 Replies

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
If you've ever thought of buying a packraft, now is the time!
« on: February 07, 2018, 12:57:45 PM »
Alpacka introduced a new packraft for 2018, the Caribou. It's lighter (by almost a pound) than my Alpacka Llama that I used to float the length of the river within the park last year (http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/your-trip-reports/round-the-bend-in-16-days-there-and-not-quite-back-again/) and easier to pack. And it's cheaper, too. By several hundred dollars. Looks like it might be slightly less durable, but I trust Alpacka not to market anything that will leave you stranded in the wilderness.  It's comes with a built-in lashing system on the bow for backpacks and other bulky items (bikes, elk carcasses, :icon_wink:). And they've added a bow handle which is fantastic. One of the frustrations I had last year, was trying to find a good way to haul the loaded raft out of the water and up onto a beach or muddy slope without damaging the raft. The handle solves that problem. Here is a link to the product announcement:

https://www.alpackaraft.com/rafting/caribou-bikeraft-solo-hunting-raft/
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 01:31:44 PM by House Made of Dawn »
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!