Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Big Bend Books

• 64 Replies

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
Big Bend Books
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2006, 12:38:18 PM »
Quote from: "bdann"
Also,

Big Bend - James Evans.  Don't have this one yet, it's expensive, but I've looked through it more than once at the PJ bookstore.  

pictures are good, but not much in the way of the park in that book if I recall.

BigBendHiker

Big Bend Books
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2006, 12:43:01 PM »
List is updated with the latest suggestions to the list at the beginning of the thread...

46 books!  WOW!!

BBH

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Books about Big Bend
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2006, 04:25:08 PM »
Quote from: "BEN AND GENA"
Another terrific book is "Wings Over the Mexican Border" by Kenneth Ragsdale. It's the story of Elmo Johnson's ranch and the airfield on the River Road which he ran for the Army Air Corps during the 1920's - 1930's. We used some of the pictures in the book to locate the old runways at the site... found a lot of what looked like 30 cal. casings along the runways. Always wondered if the pilots practiced their gunnery along them.
Have a hanky ready when you read in the last chapter about Mr. Johnson's last visit to the site with his daughter in the 1970's.

Highly Recommended !

Thanks for this mention, hadn't heard of this one.  There are some cool photos of the airfield in Smithers' book, "Chronicles of the Big Bend".  Smithers had an underground darkroom at Johnson's Ranch.

Wings over the Mexican Border is out of print from what I can tell, but several used copies are available from amazon.com.  (one less now)
WATER, It does a body good.

Offline randell

• Coyote
  • Mountain Lion
  • Purveyor of Fine Hats
Big Bend Books
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 09:23:57 AM »
I have read close to 20 of these books.  I don't think I have read one yet that I didn't like.  The one exception is the "Tales of the Big Bend" series.  Too much lore and legend and not enough history.  I like the true history stuff.

The Big Bend Pictures book is a good coffee table book.  The pictures are great but a lot of them are not "Big Bend".  My favorite "coffee table book" is Texas Mountains.  It has photos and a little history of all of the mountains in West Texas.
There's nothing like a good quest to get you intimate with a place. - Tom Clynes

BigBendHiker

Big Bend Books
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2006, 09:32:53 AM »
Quote from: "randell"
I have read close to 20 of these books.  I don't think I have read one yet that I didn't like.  The one exception is the "Tales of the Big Bend" series.  Too much lore and legend and not enough history.  I like the true history stuff.

The Big Bend Pictures book is a good coffee table book.  The pictures are great but a lot of them are not "Big Bend".  My favorite "coffee table book" is Texas Mountains.  It has photos and a little history of all of the mountains in West Texas.

Good going.  

Agree...the tales series are entertaining, but can be a stretch, kinda like Coronado's Children (the one on treasure and gold in Texas).  It is a good read, but every gold/silver story has a common thread -- they find the gold/silver, go back to tell people about it, and then can never quite find the spot where the gold/silver was...hmmmmm...

BBH

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
Big Bend Books
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2006, 11:30:44 AM »
My favorite "coffee table book" is Texas Mountains.  It has photos and a little history of all of the mountains in West Texas.

Whenever someone tells me "there aren't any mountains in Texas"....that book comes in quite handy.
WATER, It does a body good.

Offline randell

• Coyote
  • Mountain Lion
  • Purveyor of Fine Hats
Big Bend Books
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2006, 11:50:08 AM »
Quote from: "bdann"
My favorite "coffee table book" is Texas Mountains.  It has photos and a little history of all of the mountains in West Texas.

Whenever someone tells me "there aren't any mountains in Texas"....that book comes in quite handy.

Those are the same people who think San Antonio is West Texas.  I am still annoyed by people saying they are from West Texas when they say they are from Amarillo...but I guess technically, it's true.  Following the logic that Amarillo was in West Texas, I guess Laredo is in East Texas.

There's nothing like a good quest to get you intimate with a place. - Tom Clynes

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
Big Bend Books
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2006, 01:07:35 PM »
So according to your map....I?m from West Coahuila :?:  :shock:  :?:

Never, even gave it a thought  :!:  :!: ...You always learn something on this board.
Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline randell

• Coyote
  • Mountain Lion
  • Purveyor of Fine Hats
Big Bend Books
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2006, 01:37:11 PM »
I should note that I drew the lines on that  map.  I drew the horizontal line in the widest part of the state, then drew a vertical line through the center point of the horizontal line.

Offline Hayduke

• Coyote
Big Bend Books
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2006, 03:46:49 PM »
Back to books....

Clifford B. Casey, Mirages, Mysteries and Reality Brewster County Texas of the Big Bend of the Rio Grande
Carlyle Graham Raht, Romance of the Davis Mountains and Big Bend Country

These are mainly human histories - both are out of print but show up on Ebay from time to time.

Lemming_of_the_BDA

Big Bend Books
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2006, 05:28:03 PM »
I'm re-reading John Jameson's book (#33). I thought it was interesting that the ceremony to cede control of park lands to the Federal Gumint was scheduled for June 6, 1944. Turns out there was something BIG going on that day, so the ceremony was pushed back to June 12th.

Offline BIBE Webmaster

• Coyote
    • http://www.nps.gov/bibe/
D-Day
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2006, 07:53:49 PM »
Jameson got it wrong; the ceremony did take place in the Oval Office around lunchtime on June 6.

E

Moderator note:
Did You Know?
President Franklin Roosevelt received the deed to the property of the Big Bend on D-Day (June 6, 1944). The park was formally established six days later, and officially opened to visitors in July 1944.
more...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 05:36:58 PM by RichardM »
Eric Leonard, Park Ranger
Big Bend National Park / Rio Grande Wild & Scenic River
http://www.nps.gov/bibe/
http://www.nps.gov/rigr/

(Big Bend Park Ranger 2004-2008)

BigBendHiker

Re: D-Day
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2006, 09:40:46 PM »
Quote from: "BIBE Webmaster"
Jameson got it wrong; the ceremony did take place in the Oval Office around lunchtime on June 6.

E

Wow.  I had never heard that.  Thanks for sharing that.

BBH

Offline Goldilocks

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
Children's book
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2006, 11:53:50 AM »
Since people in my church know I went to Big Bend recently, several people stop to talk to me about it.  A woman stopped me in the hall and told me she had written a book about Big Bend.  At the time, I didn't realize she wrote children's books.  She talked about the border closing and the problems it has caused for U.S. security as the Mexican Mafia and the Middle Eastern terrorists have taken over the border towns.  She told me Big Bend was a prime spot for terrorists to enter this country, since "they look just like the Mexicans." :shock:  :shock:  (She really said that.)

Not really being able to respond as I would have liked to that comment, I decided to check out her book.  It is a children's book called Dragonfly Pin by Jacqueline Stem.  It is about a third grade reading level and is a mystery.  Those of you with elementary age kids might enjoy having them read it.  It is mildly entertaining.  Other than the facts that the Boquillas Canyon trail starts at Rio Grande Village, Mariscal Mine is a good place for secret agents to meet to exchange information, and families with young children go running up and down the trail from the basin to their remote campsite several times a day it was fine.  :D

Seriously, the premise is weak, but it isn't too bad. There seem to be only a small number of books for elementary age children about Big Bend so if you have kids you can check it out.

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Children's book
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2006, 11:33:34 AM »
Quote from: "Goldilocks"
She talked about the border closing and the problems it has caused for U.S. security as the Mexican Mafia and the Middle Eastern terrorists have taken over the border towns.  She told me Big Bend was a prime spot for terrorists to enter this country, since "they look just like the Mexicans." :shock:  :shock:  (She really said that.)

Well, let's hope her views and attitudes don't corrupt young minds. She sounds like the perfect voter many politicians would like to see: uninformed and afraid, not to mention apparently at least a little biased culturally.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!