Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Colin Fletcher

• 32 Replies

Online House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
Re: Colin Fletcher
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2016, 03:41:15 PM »
Moderator Note: this topic was split off from http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/gumo-general-discussion/gmnp-trip-report-oct-16-23/msg148798/#msg148798

Finally got the Colin Fletcher experience...

I'm not what you would call a traditionally religious man, but The Complete Walker is close to a sacred text for me. Fair to say it changed my life, as did all of Fletcher's books.

Hahahahahaha! Richard M is a busy man. You gotta get up pretty early in the morning to get ahead of him....... Thanks, man!  :notworthy:
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2016, 04:25:20 PM »
The other thing about navel-gazing is that, as I approach my 60th birthday, it's so much easier to see my navel than it used to be.  :icon_wink:

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2016, 04:27:51 PM »
Kidding aside, here is one of my favorite Fletcherisms.  Granted, it's from his Wikipedia entry, but it originally came from The Complete Walker, and it nicely sums up why I love backpacking, particularly solo backpacking and climbing.

"But if you judge safety to be the paramount consideration in life you should never, under any circumstances, go on long hikes alone. Don’t take short hikes alone, either — or, for that matter, go anywhere alone. And avoid at all costs such foolhardy activities as driving, falling in love, or inhaling air that is almost certainly riddled with deadly germs. Wear wool next to the skin. Insure every good and chattel you possess against every conceivable contingency the future might bring, even if the premiums half-cripple the present. Never cross an intersection against a red light, even when you can see all roads are clear for miles. And never, of course, explore the guts of an idea that seems as if it might threaten one of your more cherished beliefs. In your wisdom you will probably live to be a ripe old age. But you may discover, just before you die, that you have been dead for a long, long time."

Offline backpacker56

• Coyote
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2016, 08:36:10 AM »
Kidding aside, here is one of my favorite Fletcherisms.  Granted, it's from his Wikipedia entry, but it originally came from The Complete Walker, and it nicely sums up why I love backpacking, particularly solo backpacking and climbing.

"But if you judge safety to be the paramount consideration in life you should never, under any circumstances, go on long hikes alone. Don’t take short hikes alone, either — or, for that matter, go anywhere alone. And avoid at all costs such foolhardy activities as driving, falling in love, or inhaling air that is almost certainly riddled with deadly germs. Wear wool next to the skin. Insure every good and chattel you possess against every conceivable contingency the future might bring, even if the premiums half-cripple the present. Never cross an intersection against a red light, even when you can see all roads are clear for miles. And never, of course, explore the guts of an idea that seems as if it might threaten one of your more cherished beliefs. In your wisdom you will probably live to be a ripe old age. But you may discover, just before you die, that you have been dead for a long, long time."

Excellent, and well put.  Safety is not a goal in itself, rather, describes the manner in which a goal is pursued.
"Ah, sure, I'm a gnawed old bone now, but say, don't you guys think the spirit's gone!"

Offline backpacker56

• Coyote
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2016, 08:37:57 AM »
Even in his "...Walked Through Time" book, he included many hints that I regularly incorporate.

By "hints" you mean backpacking tips?
"Ah, sure, I'm a gnawed old bone now, but say, don't you guys think the spirit's gone!"

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2016, 09:12:41 AM »
Even in his "...Walked Through Time" book, he included many hints that I regularly incorporate.

By "hints" you mean backpacking tips?

Yes. 

As he spins his story, he, naturally, references backpacking "doings"  (I'm referring to his book about walking "Through Time" through the Grand Canyon).

At one point, he very subtly mentions that, before he goes to sleep, he very purposefully arranges his things in the same way every time.

That might seem first nature to many, but it wasn't to me.

Before I noticed that in his book, I had tended to crash in my tent without giving any mind to where I placed things.  This turned little chores like getting up in the middle of the night to pee (where are my boots, where is my walking stick, where is my flashlight?) into bigger chores.

Now, after reading his book, I place things very deliberately around my tent in the same place every time - and now, for example, I don't have to wake completely up to go to the bathroom. 

I am in no way obsessively compulsive - it's just not my first, random, nature.  But my backpacking habit when I lay down in my tent is to have certain things at my right hand, other things to my left had, other things at my right hip, and so on. 

I doubt that he intended to "make a point."  The reference was off-hand, even oblique.  But I noticed it, and it has helped.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline venchka

• Coyote
    • My LUG Gallery
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2016, 02:30:13 PM »
Mr. Fletcher's illustrated explanation of how to select a sleeping bag should be enlarged to life size and hung in every backpacking shop.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wayne
“Leave me alone. I know what I'm doing. K. R.”

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2016, 06:53:16 AM »
When I get back into the country and have access to my Fletcher books I have some favorite quotes I will share

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

In all 4 editions of The Complete Walker there is an appendix called "Pleasant Quotes for Contemplative Walkers" here, quickly, are a few of my favorites

"The swiftest traveler is he that goes afoot"- Thoreau

"There is more to life than increasing speed"- Gandhi

"Take this simple test to see if you qualify for solo camping.  Shine a flashlight in one ear.  If the beam shines out the other ear, do not go into the woods alone."-  Bruce Cochran

"Oh, he's a genuine backpacker, all right.  He's got a filed-down toothbrush."-  overheard by Colin Fletcher

For our current subject of bears-  "Bear bells provide an element of safety for hikers in grizzly country.  The tricky part is getting them on the bears."  Bruce Cochran

From Fletcher himself:

"I find that the three truly great times for thinking thoughts are when I am standing in the shower, sitting on the john, or walking.  And the greatest of these, by far, is walking."

More quotes from Fletcher himself to come, just had to get a few out there.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 06:05:52 AM by mule ears »
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2016, 10:25:55 AM »
When I get back into the country and have access to my Fletcher books I have some favorite quotes I will share

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

In all 4 editions of The Complete Walker there is an appendix called "Pleasant Quotes for Contemplative Walkers" here, quickly, are a few of my favorites

"The swiftest traveler is he that goes afoot"- Thoreau

"There is more to life than increasing speed"- Gandhi

"Take this simple test to see if you qualify for solo camping.  Shine a flashlight in one ear.  If the beam shines out the other ear, do not go into the woods alone."-  Bruce Cochran

"Oh, he's a genuine backpacker, all right.  He's got a filed-down toothbrush."-  overheard by Colin Fletcher

For the our current subject of bears-  "Bear bells provide an element of safety for hikers in grizzly country.  The tricky part is getting them on the bears."  Bruce Cochran

From Fletcher himself:

"I find that the three truly great times for thinking thoughts are when I am standing in the shower, sitting on the john, or walking.  And the greatest of these, by far, is walking."

More quotes from Fletcher himself to come, just had to get a few out there.

:great:  :icon_lol:  :great:

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2016, 03:11:26 PM »
For those interested I just finished the newly released biography of Fletcher titled Walking Man: The secret life of Colin Fletcher by Robert Wehrman.  Not a bad read, some repetition at times but he researched exhaustively (nearly 600 pages long) and it gives some very interesting insight to the man and what drove him.

The Prelude starts with the author in Big Bend.

He was a Royal Marine that landed at Normandy on D-Day
Spoke Swahili
He was paranoid about his privacy, worked at home in the nude
He was not a fan of Ed Abbey until after Abbey's death
Was once ranked #11 Senior tennis player in the US
Regularly soaked in the bathtub, watching the birds out his window drinking Wild Turkey!
no shade, no water

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2016, 03:38:52 PM »
Altogether, a good recipe for life.

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2016, 12:37:01 PM »
Thanks, may read this over the holiday.
Although I do find it surprising Fletcher would stand for letting birds drink his Wild Turkey.

For those interested I just finished the newly released biography of Fletcher titled Walking Man: The secret life of Colin Fletcher by Robert Wehrman.  Not a bad read, some repetition at times but he researched exhaustively (nearly 600 pages long) and it gives some very interesting insight to the man and what drove him.

Spoke Swahili
Regularly soaked in the bathtub, watching the birds out his window drinking Wild Turkey!

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2016, 12:50:25 PM »
Thanks, may read this over the holiday.
Although I do find it surprising Fletcher would stand for letting birds drink his Wild Turkey.

Spoke Swahili

:s_laugh:

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2016, 02:12:23 PM »
 :eusa_doh:

Regularly soaked in the bathtub, watching the birds flying outside his window while he was drinking Wild Turkey!

I too wondered how the birds liked Wild Turkey.

Have a good holiday reading!   :a035:
no shade, no water

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2017, 05:57:23 PM »
Took a month to arrive, but I just got this in the mail! Thanks for the heads-up, Mule Ears. I'm looking forward to diving into this immediately.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!