Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Death in Big Bend by Laurence Parent - Reviews

• 40 Replies

Offline lparent

• Coyote
    • http://www.laurenceparent.com
Re: Death in Big Bend by Laurence Parent - Reviews
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2010, 10:44:56 AM »
Nova,

I'm glad you liked the book, especially since you had the misfortune to be featured prominently in it.  I'm sorry it took you awhile to get a copy.  The publisher is very small and the owner has been undergoing treatment all year for very advanced cancer.  That means that distribution has been irregular and unreliable.  He's working on solving the problem as his health allows, so I hope it will improve.  As you found, the most reliable place to get it right now is at fsbooks.com (Front Street Books in Alpine).  I know the owner there; she's great.

Offline Nova Knightstep

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2010, 11:17:55 AM »
Yes, Laurence...I had the misfortune, of the experience, that landed me a spot in your book but as I explained to you last year during your research...my father died doing something that brought him great joy & happiness...how many people could say that? I do know that my father would be thrilled, with the fact, that our excursion ended up being published! =]

I did not know that two women had found my father & I did not know that he had already been recovered by the rangers during our interviews. We were led to believe that he had not been found until right before I went to ID him. I'm assuming this was because they were trying to rule out 'foul play'.

I found the stories of Carl Springer & Ellwood Voorhees to be the most interesting ones. Especially since they were both avid & experienced hikers.

The John Gary Monroe & Boston Tate had to be the most horrific. No family should ever have to go through such a thing!

I was surprised that our story was the only 'boating' accident in the book...but I am very pleased with the conveyance of our story. You did an excellent job! Thank you!

-Nova Lea Knightstep-Montgomery

Offline rosco

• Roadrunner
    • SouthWest BackPack
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2010, 07:43:27 AM »
i've read half the book now.  Great Book!  Tragedy, sorrow, grief with splashes of beauty and comic relief.   it allows me to see the park rescue operations from a personal standpoint.  the book almost has a Big Bend canvas behind it.

My heart goes out to families who lost special loved ones. 

Boy, that story of Shannon Roberts and Baker is downright creepy!  L. Parent brings out Baker's slime in prose for sure.  i thought archaebacteria was the lowest form of life but then i hear about people like this.  eeks!  This story holds my favorite part.  Chasing a drug trafficker through the desert then being diverted by a human skeleton sticking out of the ground.  i chuckle imagining the comments that must have been made upon that discovery!

just to comment on the Sellers/Brock story -  why wasn't Sellers charged with murder?  and after reading Sellers own book (not sure if it is published or not) he could also be charged with child endangerment.  it frightens me that people like him take others out on such trips.  i hope i don't ever  unknowingly take his advice or advice from his kind.  kinda ironic and fitting that he is a pastor

« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 08:02:15 AM by rosco »

Offline lparent

• Coyote
    • http://www.laurenceparent.com
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2010, 08:41:04 AM »
I think Brock was a young, healthy man that figured that if Sellers could do the drop, then so could he.  In addition, rappelling down probably seemed a lot easier to Brock than doing the long, tortuous detour necessary to bypass the drop.  Brock was just too inexperienced to realize the possible predicament that he was putting himself into.  Sellers didn't want Brock to come down the rope and told Brock so, but there was nothing he could do from the bottom to stop him.  Once Brock got hung up on the cliff, Sellers took extreme risks trying to save him.  It could be argued that maybe Sellers shouldn't have brought someone as inexperienced as Brock or that Sellers shouldn't have gone down the cliff leaving Brock alone, but that's about it.  I think Sellers was deeply sorrowed by the incident.

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
  • The road goes on forever & the party never ends...
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2010, 09:25:21 AM »
just to comment on the Sellers/Brock story -  why wasn't Sellers charged with murder?  and after reading Sellers own book (not sure if it is published or not) he could also be charged with child endangerment.  it frightens me that people like him take others out on such trips.  i hope i don't ever  unknowingly take his advice or advice from his kind.  kinda ironic and fitting that he is a pastor
Why would he be charged with murder??  It was a tragic accident.  Nothing about the incident comes close to murder.  In fact Sellers went to great lengths and put his own life in danger to try and save Bryan.  Child endangerment?  Bryan was a grown man.  How do you come to these conclusions?

Offline BigBendAg88

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2010, 08:11:39 PM »
Laurence,
I thoroughly enjoyed your book.  I purchased it in the Panther Junction Visitor Center last weekend and read it when I returned home.  The book was very hard to put down.  The stories ressonate because of my familiarity with many of the locations in Big Bend where the fatalities/rescues occurred.  For the cases where visitors were caught unprepared, it highlights the need for all visitors to take park warnings/precautions seriously.  For that reason alone, I think that many people who read your book will think twice before venturing into Big Bend without taking proper precuations.

As for the stories of Murder and Suicide in the park; those were quite chilling to learn about as well.

I have recommended this book to my friends, and look forward to your next book!

Offline Collared Lizard

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2010, 09:57:08 AM »
John Sellers wrote in detail about the Cattail Canyon tragedy.  After reading Parents book if you want to learn much more from his perspective it is worth the "read".  You can find it here:  http://thehikersforum.com/index.php You have to join the site to access Sellers trip report.  I am speaking of the chapter in Parents book titled Bryan Brock.  Bryan of course was Sellers companion who died.  Sellers also posts images which are compelling as well. 

Online mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2010, 10:10:35 AM »
John Sellers wrote in detail about the Cattail Canyon tragedy.  After reading Parents book if you want to learn much more from his perspective it is worth the "read".  You can find it here:  http://thehikersforum.com/index.php You have to join the site to access Sellers trip report.  I am speaking of the chapter in Parents book titled Bryan Brock.  Bryan of course was Sellers companion who died.  Sellers also posts images which are compelling as well.

He also posted it here on BigBendChat some years ago.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Collared Lizard

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2010, 10:19:26 AM »
I tried to find any John Sellers post here first but was unsuccessful. 

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2011, 08:30:21 AM »
I tried to find any John Sellers post here first but was unsuccessful. 
John Sellers' username here is Okiehiker

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2014, 09:12:14 AM »
I'm curious - has any more information come out of the Monroe murder?
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!