Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Empire of the Summer Moon

• 30 Replies

Offline sleepy

• Black Bear
  • i'm not a terrorist
Empire of the Summer Moon
« on: December 03, 2010, 11:38:36 AM »
Quanna Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History.   

That's quite a title.
While not a book about Big Bend per se, it does touch on the Comanche Trace and raids into Mexico.  Most of the action takes place on the southern Great Plains of Texas and Oklahoma.  It is a fascinating and well written book.  A real page turner.  Combines personal, political, and natural histories into a wide ranging story about the Comanches, settlers, Bluecoats, Texas Rangers, Quanah and Cynthia Ann Parker.  If you were schooled in Texas you were required to learn about the abduction and subsequent "freeing" of CAP.  Comanches go from rodent eating scavengers to the world's greatest warrior horsemen in about 150 years.  Frank and brutal.  I highly recommend. 
It's never too late to be what you might have been-Geroge Elliot

Ray52

Re: Empire of the Summer Moon
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 12:12:58 PM »
I'm adding this to my reading list too.  My last time at the Terlingua Trading Post I picked up The Captured by Scott Zesch.  It's a fascinating collection of stories about white settlers captured by the Indians.

(QS.....from one old classic to another.....Fehrenb ach's book is one of my favorites as well.) 

Offline TheWildWestGuy

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 10:53:22 PM »
Those of you that like to read Texas Indian books might also be interested in The Boy Captives by Clinton L. Smith and The Conquest of Texas by Gary Clayton Anderson.  The former is the story of two young boys captured by the Comanche and Apache indians who spent several years with them,  the later is more of a documentary of ethnic cleansing of the Indians in Texas from 1820-1875.   When you think about how many different tribes lived in Texas before 1820 and the fact that now their are only 2 tiny little reservations it is a sad reflection of what happens when one race with superior weapons and numbers wants the land and assets that another weaker race has.  Human nature I guess, we can justify any sort of genocide as long as we get what we want in the end.   TWWG

Offline Frau

• Coyote
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 09:43:58 PM »
Those of you that like to read Texas Indian books might also be interested in The Boy Captives by Clinton L. Smith and The Conquest of Texas by Gary Clayton Anderson.  The former is the story of two young boys captured by the Comanche and Apache indians who spent several years with them,  the later is more of a documentary of ethnic cleansing of the Indians in Texas from 1820-1875.   When you think about how many different tribes lived in Texas before 1820 and the fact that now their are only 2 tiny little reservations it is a sad reflection of what happens when one race with superior weapons and numbers wants the land and assets that another weaker race has.  Human nature I guess, we can justify any sort of genocide as long as we get what we want in the end.   TWWG
amen, brother; "the more things change, the more they remain the same"!
QS
the Romans had a much gentler approach to colonizing, otherwise all of us "Barbarians" would have been wiped out just like the Indians! They mixed and mingled with the conquered tribes and peoples in northern Europe, instead of ethnically cleansing the conquered territories!Seems to me, we could have learned from them.....?
Am i once again touching upon a taboo?
Thanks for the Book recommendations!

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 10:11:04 PM »
tabulos, frau. Sie bekommen eine Menge Aufmerksamkeit, fyi......(German).
Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline Frau

• Coyote
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 10:12:12 PM »
tabulos, frau. Sie bekommen eine Menge Aufmerksamkeit, fyi......(German).
das glaube ich auch,Amigo!!

Offline Frau

• Coyote
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 10:22:57 PM »
"one race with superior weapons and numbers wants the land and assets that another weaker race has.  Human nature I guess, we can justify any sort of genocide as long as we get what we want in the end.  "

Was it really that the Indians were a "weaker race"?? I doubt it, just as the " Barbarians" were not weaker than the Romans, but not as developed, technologically speaking, i surmise!

Offline Frau

• Coyote
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 09:33:35 AM »
I am interested in finding books on the lives and history of the Indians  BEFORE colonization, BEFORE the Spanish Conquistador's arrival! For example: wasn't the horse introduced by the Spanish, were there any wild horses before?? Any suggestions on books? Thanks

Offline sleepy

• Black Bear
  • i'm not a terrorist
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 11:57:56 AM »
"one race with superior weapons and numbers wants the land and assets that another weaker race has.  Human nature I guess, we can justify any sort of genocide as long as we get what we want in the end.  "

Was it really that the Indians were a "weaker race"?? I doubt it, just as the " Barbarians" were not weaker than the Romans, but not as developed, technologically speaking, i surmise!
The Comanches may have been the fiercest most accomplished horsemen warriors the world has ever known.  It's a combination of many things.  The sweep of history, destruction of a species, the Colt revolver and Texans.  Early Texans hated them to near extinction.

Offline sleepy

• Black Bear
  • i'm not a terrorist
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 12:01:16 PM »
I am interested in finding books on the lives and history of the Indians  BEFORE colonization, BEFORE the Spanish Conquistador's arrival! For example: wasn't the horse introduced by the Spanish, were there any wild horses before?? Any suggestions on books? Thanks

maybe start with Cabeza de Vaca    http://www.amazon.com/Narrative-Cabeza-Vaca-Alvar-Nunez/dp/080326416X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295978309&sr=8-1

Offline Frau

• Coyote
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 12:03:19 PM »
Thanks a bunch, Sleepy!!

maybe start with Cabeza de Vaca    http://www.amazon.com/Narrative-Cabeza-Vaca-Alvar-Nunez/dp/080326416X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295978309&sr=8-1

Offline Frau

• Coyote
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 06:16:36 PM »
and the best ever description of "Pre-Coloumbia" America:

"1491"!

QS
thanks so much! I have '1491" but never got around to reading it! Shame on me!

Offline guc126

• Coyote
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 09:46:42 PM »
Can I put my 2 cents worth, please! Here are several suggestions:

1) Border Healing Woman: The story of Jewel Babb as told to Pat Little Dog.
    author: Jewel Babb

This book chronicles the life of a special woman, born soon after the start of the 20th century into poverty,  that lived in West Texas close to the land in every sense of the word and discovered the power of healing. After reading this book you will never again ignore those horizons that you see flying past you at 70 miles per hour on the way to Big Bend, especially the country past Del Rio or Ozona. This is a book you may never take off your night stand.

Another book that should be read together with Jewell Babbs are the chronicles of the Spaniard Alvar Nu?ez Cabeza de Vaca, a shipwrecked conquistador who was enslaved by the hunter-gatherers of Texas and became the first man in north America who walked from the Atlantic (Gulf of Mexico) to the Pacific, much of the journey crossing back and forth from Texas into Mexico. He also became a healer while maybe travelling through some of the same country that Ms Babb lived in.
Much of this book and most of Border healing woman take place in the Chihuahua desert that we are all so much in love with.

2) If you are interested in the history of the horse in Texas and North America you must read "the Mustangs" by J Frank Dobie. If you are interested in the history of ranching then read "Cow People" by the same author.

The beauty of these two books are that the author is an excellent cultural historian who was born and raised during that time when the world was changed by the advent of the automobile and the end of the horse age.

3) First find a copy of a book titled "Tales of the Big Bend" by Elton Miles. Read the chapter on John Glanton Scalp Hunter. Study the map of his journey that is among the illustrations.

After you have done that the find "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy. Be ready for one of the darkest journeys you will ever take, but also be ready for the most descriptive account of the Chihuahua desert and the canyons that Quicksilver travelled through in the Sierra Madre of Mexico. Be ready for an epic that is so well written you are put in that time and place.

There are some other ideas I have but I just got the urge to go to Barnes & NObles with my daughter before they close.     Gutt Nacht

Offline Frau

• Coyote
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 10:09:50 PM »
Can I put my 2 cents worth, please! Here are several suggestions:

1) Border Healing Woman: The story of Jewel Babb as told to Pat Little Dog.
    author: Jewel Babb

This book chronicles the life of a special woman, born soon after the start of the 20th century into poverty,  that lived in West Texas close to the land in every sense of the word and discovered the power of healing. After reading this book you will never again ignore those horizons that you see flying past you at 70 miles per hour on the way to Big Bend, especially the country past Del Rio or Ozona. This is a book you may never take off your night stand.

Another book that should be read together with Jewell Babbs are the chronicles of the Spaniard Alvar Nu?ez Cabeza de Vaca, a shipwrecked conquistador who was enslaved by the hunter-gatherers of Texas and became the first man in north America who walked from the Atlantic (Gulf of Mexico) to the Pacific, much of the journey crossing back and forth from Texas into Mexico. He also became a healer while maybe travelling through some of the same country that Ms Babb lived in.
Much of this book and most of Border healing woman take place in the Chihuahua desert that we are all so much in love with.

2) If you are interested in the history of the horse in Texas and North America you must read "the Mustangs" by J Frank Dobie. If you are interested in the history of ranching then read "Cow People" by the same author.

The beauty of these two books are that the author is an excellent cultural historian who was born and raised during that time when the world was changed by the advent of the automobile and the end of the horse age.

3) First find a copy of a book titled "Tales of the Big Bend" by Elton Miles. Read the chapter on John Glanton Scalp Hunter. Study the map of his journey that is among the illustrations.

After you have done that the find "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy. Be ready for one of the darkest journeys you will ever take, but also be ready for the most descriptive account of the Chihuahua desert and the canyons that Quicksilver travelled through in the Sierra Madre of Mexico. Be ready for an epic that is so well written you are put in that time and place.

There are some other ideas I have but I just got the urge to go to Barnes & NObles with my daughter before they close.     Gutt Nacht

well this is certainly more than 2 cents worth! I am excited! And all of this after i just came back from our well stocked Library with an armload of books previously recommended!I will have to retire into the Desert and read FOREVER! But, seriously: thanks for  all of your generous sharing of reading material, i will read all of it!!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!