Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Empire of the Summer Moon

• 30 Replies

Offline Frau

• Coyote
Re: Empire of the Summer Moon
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 10:15:47 PM »
Can I put my 2 cents worth, please! Here are several suggestions:

1) Border Healing Woman: The story of Jewel Babb as told to Pat Little Dog.
    author: Jewel Babb

This book chronicles the life of a special woman, born soon after the start of the 20th century into poverty,  that lived in West Texas close to the land in every sense of the word and discovered the power of healing. After reading this book you will never again ignore those horizons that you see flying past you at 70 miles per hour on the way to Big Bend, especially the country past Del Rio or Ozona. This is a book you may never take off your night stand.

Another book that should be read together with Jewell Babbs are the chronicles of the Spaniard Alvar Nu?ez Cabeza de Vaca, a shipwrecked conquistador who was enslaved by the hunter-gatherers of Texas and became the first man in north America who walked from the Atlantic (Gulf of Mexico) to the Pacific, much of the journey crossing back and forth from Texas into Mexico. He also became a healer while maybe travelling through some of the same country that Ms Babb lived in.
Much of this book and most of Border healing woman take place in the Chihuahua desert that we are all so much in love with.

2) If you are interested in the history of the horse in Texas and North America you must read "the Mustangs" by J Frank Dobie. If you are interested in the history of ranching then read "Cow People" by the same author.

The beauty of these two books are that the author is an excellent cultural historian who was born and raised during that time when the world was changed by the advent of the automobile and the end of the horse age.

3) First find a copy of a book titled "Tales of the Big Bend" by Elton Miles. Read the chapter on John Glanton Scalp Hunter. Study the map of his journey that is among the illustrations.

After you have done that the find "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy. Be ready for one of the darkest journeys you will ever take, but also be ready for the most descriptive account of the Chihuahua desert and the canyons that Quicksilver travelled through in the Sierra Madre of Mexico. Be ready for an epic that is so well written you are put in that time and place.

There are some other ideas I have but I just got the urge to go to Barnes & NObles with my daughter before they close.     Gutt Nacht

well this is certainly more than 2 cents worth! I am excited! And all of this after i just came back from our well stocked Library with an armload of books previously recommended!I will have to retire into the Desert and read FOREVER! But, seriously: thanks for  all of your generous sharing of reading material, i will read all of it!!
The Chronicles by Cabeza de Vaca were mentioned earlier by "Sleepy" as well. There is a movie out about him and his arduous journey, some sort of re-enactment, quite interesting, which i have seen recently (Netflix)! I can recommend it!

Offline Frau

• Coyote
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 10:20:33 PM »
Can I put my 2 cents worth, please! Here are several suggestions:

1) Border Healing Woman: The story of Jewel Babb as told to Pat Little Dog.
    author: Jewel Babb

This book chronicles the life of a special woman, born soon after the start of the 20th century into poverty,  that lived in West Texas close to the land in every sense of the word and discovered the power of healing. After reading this book you will never again ignore those horizons that you see flying past you at 70 miles per hour on the way to Big Bend, especially the country past Del Rio or Ozona. This is a book you may never take off your night stand.

Another book that should be read together with Jewell Babbs are the chronicles of the Spaniard Alvar Nu?ez Cabeza de Vaca, a shipwrecked conquistador who was enslaved by the hunter-gatherers of Texas and became the first man in north America who walked from the Atlantic (Gulf of Mexico) to the Pacific, much of the journey crossing back and forth from Texas into Mexico. He also became a healer while maybe travelling through some of the same country that Ms Babb lived in.
Much of this book and most of Border healing woman take place in the Chihuahua desert that we are all so much in love with.

2) If you are interested in the history of the horse in Texas and North America you must read "the Mustangs" by J Frank Dobie. If you are interested in the history of ranching then read "Cow People" by the same author.

The beauty of these two books are that the author is an excellent cultural historian who was born and raised during that time when the world was changed by the advent of the automobile and the end of the horse age.

3) First find a copy of a book titled "Tales of the Big Bend" by Elton Miles. Read the chapter on John Glanton Scalp Hunter. Study the map of his journey that is among the illustrations.

After you have done that the find "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy. Be ready for one of the darkest journeys you will ever take, but also be ready for the most descriptive account of the Chihuahua desert and the canyons that Quicksilver travelled through in the Sierra Madre of Mexico. Be ready for an epic that is so well written you are put in that time and place.

There are some other ideas I have but I just got the urge to go to Barnes & NObles with my daughter before they close.     Gutt Nacht

well this is certainly more than 2 cents worth! I am excited! And all of this after i just came back from our well stocked Library with an armload of books previously recommended!I will have to retire into the Desert and read FOREVER! But, seriously: thanks for  all of your generous sharing of reading material, i will read all of it!!
The Chronicles by Cabeza de Vaca were mentioned earlier by "Sleepy" as well. There is a movie out about him and his arduous journey, some sort of re-enactment, quite interesting, which i have seen recently (Netflix)! I can recommend it!
PS: QS recommended all of the titles by Frank Dobie, see threat! Thank you too, QS!!

Offline Frau

• Coyote
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 10:23:53 PM »
Cabeza De Vaca(1991) R              Movie: available Netflix

When a Spanish expedition sinks off Florida's coast in 1528, survivor Alva Nunez Cabeza de Vaca (Juan Diego) goes ashore looking for his compatriots; instead, he ends up enslaved by the Iguase Indians. During the next eight years he studies their mystic customs, becoming a holy man and healer. But soon conquistadors subjugate the Indians, and Cabeza de Vaca is forced to confront the Spaniards -- and his past -- in this amazing true story.

Genre:
    Biographies, Dramas Based on Real Life, Foreign Dramas

Format:
    DVD

Offline Frau

• Coyote
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 08:21:37 AM »
wow, a literary gathering; how wonderful. Among my personal favorites are J. Frank Dobies's "Coronado's Children, and the "Longhorn's"; followed closely by the "Mustang's". Next would be "Rio Grande"/Jan Reid,"Lone Star"/T.R. Fehrenbach,"Great River"/PaulHorgan, "Comanches, The Destruction of a People"/T.R. Fehrenbach, and "Legends of the American Desert"/Alex Shomatoff
And of course,  "Texas"/James Michener, and "Mexico" also by James Michener
(most are considered classics, all are in my personal library for re-reading)

My favorites re New Mexico are the historical novels "Taos"/Irwin R. Blacker, "The Pueblo Revolt"/David Roberts, "Blood and Thunder"/Hampton Sides, "Death Comes For The Archbishop"/Willa Cather,...................and many more!
QS
.....more ordering from Amazon, more trips to the Library! QS, don't be surprised, if you don't see me much on the chat any more! "gotta READ"!!

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
  • The road goes on forever & the party never ends...
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 10:15:40 AM »
Some excellent historical fiction is the First Americans series by Michael and Kathleen O'Neal Gear.  They are archaeologist husband and wife that have written a series of 17+ books.   They take real sites and historical events and build stories around them.  Really brings the places and people to life.  From the first natives to cross the Siberian land bridge to the Mississippian Mound Builders, they cover all different parts of the country, and they are working on more. 
They also just started a new series on the arrival of Europeans in North America.  It focuses on De Soto and his brutality.  I just finished the first book, "Coming of the Storm: Book One of Contact: The Battle for America".  Can't wait for the second one to come out next month.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 12:29:25 PM by TexasAggieHiker »

Offline Frau

• Coyote
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 12:15:49 PM »
Some excellent historical fiction is the First Americans series by Michael and Kathleen O'Neal Gear.  They are archaeologist husband and wife that have written a series of 17+ books.   They take real sites and historical events and build stories around them.  Really brings the places and people to life.  From the first natives to cross the Siberian land bridge to the Mississippian Mound Builders, they cover all different parts of the country, and they are working on more. 
They also just started a new series on the arrival of Europeans on North America.  It focuses on De Soto and his brutality.  I just finish the first book, "Coming of the Storm: Book One of Contact: The Battle for America".  Can't wait for the second one to come out next month.
Wow, sounds very intriguing!! I also found a good one, while acquiring all the below listed tomes: The Indians of Texas: from Prehistoric to Modern times by W.W. Newcomb,Jr.! Thanks TAHiker

Offline Frau

• Coyote
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 12:18:02 PM »
"having the time to read is a benefit of not requiring much sleep"
QS
yes, i know, making good use of all these hours! But my brain cells require the sleep more!

Ray52

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 07:14:48 PM »

It's a combination of many things.  The sweep of history, destruction of a species, the Colt revolver and Texans. [/quote]

Just finished reading it last night and Sleepy's brief summary above nails it.  This is a fascinating book.

Offline bbbrain

• Coyote
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2011, 05:24:59 PM »
Just finished it.  Best $27.50 I ever spent.

Online Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2015, 10:09:12 AM »
Bouncing an old thread...  ;)

I just got this book for my birthday from one of my sons. So far, it is looking good and may end up being a grabber.  :icon_cool:

Online Jim

• BBNHA Volunteer
  • Black Bear
  • Visiting BBNP since 1975
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2015, 10:14:14 AM »

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2015, 02:10:28 PM »
Read it just a couple of weeks ago.  It's not a book that I will forget.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 03:01:14 PM by Al »

Offline PacingTheCage

• Coyote
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2015, 12:17:58 PM »

Boy, that is an understatement!  I kept wanting to put the book away but the descriptions of the desert, etc. were just too good.  After I completed the book I wanted to crawl into the fetal position and rediscover my soul.  "Dark" is right. Brutally dark. 

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2015, 01:42:06 PM »
I just finished T R Fehrenbach's book on the Comanches.  I thought it superior to The Empire of the Summer Moon.  Both are great.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline guc126

• Coyote
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2015, 12:37:26 AM »
Book I read a while ago,  Jeff Guinn's "Our Land Before We Die, The Proud Story of the Seminole Negro". Much of story documents the military history of the Seminole Negro scouts based in Fort Clark, in Brackettville, and their role in the pacification of the highway 90 corridor against the Comanche and other tribes. Its not painted with the broad brush that Empire oh the Summer Moon employs, but its a must read if you love travelling this roadway.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!