Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Exploring the Big Bend Country

• 3 Replies

Offline sstrong42

• Roadrunner
Exploring the Big Bend Country
« on: March 24, 2009, 04:55:39 PM »
Great great book.  A collection of Peter Koch's writings and photography.  A lot of great stories about some of the best places in the park.  This book was a great read during my March 08 trip.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion

BigBendHiker

Re: Exploring the Big Bend Country
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 09:02:07 PM »
Just to build on this thread...

Another good book is "Lizards on the Mantle, Burros at the Door: A Big Bend Memoir" by Etta Koch (Peter Koch's wife).  Also available at the BIBE Bookstore:

http://www.bigbendbookstore.org/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=56

Offline randell

• Coyote
  • Mountain Lion
  • Purveyor of Fine Hats
Re: Exploring the Big Bend Country
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 12:18:04 PM »
Glad you liked it.  I purchased it six months ago and have not gotten around to reading it yet.  Maybe this will motivate me.  But them I have to finish the Guadalupe Mountains lore book and the Ed Abbey books I am partway into first.
There's nothing like a good quest to get you intimate with a place. - Tom Clynes

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!