Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Found: Ross Maxwell's Book Online

• 6 Replies

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
Found: Ross Maxwell's Book Online
« on: September 25, 2011, 06:38:21 PM »
I stumbled upon this link last night while hunting for a particular Big Bend factoid so I thought I would share:

"Big Bend of the Rio Grande: A Guide to the Rocks, Landscape, Geologic History, and Settlers of the Area of Big Bend National Park" by Ross A. Maxwell  :icon_mrgreen:

I liked it so much, ordered myself a copy from the Texas Bureau of Economic Geology:eusa_dance:

If you want your own copy, order GB0007 from the Bureau of Economic Geology Publication Sales. ;)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 06:52:46 PM by Flash »

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Re: Found: Ross Maxwell's Book Online
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 08:28:38 PM »
It's a great book and essential for any real Bender who wants to know details you can't find anywhere else.  Like TWWG's original reference to Sugarloaf Mtn. (There will be a quiz at a later date). 

:confuse:
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 11:05:04 PM »
Say, mule ears, I noticed something curious in the Plate I: Geography of the Big Bend Region in the map pocket. Has to do with the Marufo Vega location and the modern day trail named for it (see attachment below):

From this map, it seems the actual "vega" (translated "fertile lowland") might have been 2 to 3 miles downstream from where the north branch of the present day trail reaches the River, right at the mouth of Arroyo Venado pictured in the map. Curious, eh?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 09:59:39 PM by Flash »

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 07:18:00 AM »
What is equally curious is that my copy of the book doesn't have that same map.   :eusa_think:

There was a good thread years back about hiking Arroyo Venado and if it was possible to connect to the Marufo Vega trail.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
  • The road goes on forever & the party never ends...
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 09:14:36 AM »
I've seen the same trail on maps as well, possibly in this book.  I've wanted to try and find the trail if it exist.

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 09:20:27 AM »
I have explored it a bit using Google Earth and am wondering if the trail may have in fact been the sandy bank along the river... Seems the most recent GE images are not the best, so I stepped back in time to get a more detailed view... Maybe I need to find out more about ol' Gregorio Marufo to find out more precisely where he took his herds...  :icon_wink:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 01:30:31 PM by Flash »

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 08:13:03 PM »
Some information on Gregorio Marufo:
The Great Unknown of the Rio Grande By Louis F. Aulbach

Basically, it states that the Marufo Vega Trail was commonly used by Mexicans traveling from Boquillas and San Vicente to Adams Ranch, a major wax processing facility in the area. This implies there was a route extending beyond Arroyo Venado and tying in with the end of the Strawhouse Trail where there is a ranch road that wanders over towards Adams Ranch.

Also, some information on Arroyo Venado:
The Handbook of Texas Online

This citation reads like everyone knows the MV Trail leads to Arroyo Venado. Someone needs to try it. I would try walking the sandy bank/beach one way and then maybe a higher route back. Okay I volunteer!  :great:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 08:49:49 PM by Flash »

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2017 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!