Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Hiker's Guide

• 5 Replies

Online DesertRatShorty

• Coyote
    • Who was Desert Rat Shorty?
Hiker's Guide
« on: July 07, 2018, 09:04:28 AM »
The park evidently puts out a Hiker's Guide. Wondering if anyone can provide a review. In particular:

• How does it compare to Parent's book?
  • It says it was revised in 2011. Is this a revision of "Hiker's Guide to the Developed Trails and Primitive Routes" by Roland Wauer, which evidently dates back to the 70s or earlier? If so, how has it changed?

It's available for 4 bucks + S&H, just wondering if I should pick up a copy.

Thanks
I roamed and rambled, and I foller'ed my footsteps
   To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
   And all around me a voice was a'sounding
   This land was made for you and me

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
Re: Hiker's Guide
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 09:49:15 AM »
The park evidently puts out a Hiker's Guide. Wondering if anyone can provide a review. In particular:

• How does it compare to Parent's book?
  • It says it was revised in 2011. Is this a revision of "Hiker's Guide to the Developed Trails and Primitive Routes" by Roland Wauer, which evidently dates back to the 70s or earlier? If so, how has it changed?

It's available for 4 bucks + S&H, just wondering if I should pick up a copy.

Thanks

I have a very old version of this book/booklet. (1990). It is not a comprehensive guide like the other 2 mentioned. It's not all that useful unless you are a new visitor. Mine doesn't even have Smoky Creek trail, Cheap though.....mine was $1.75! Looks like the new one is in a larger format than mine too.

Here is the TOC
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 10:19:49 AM by badknees »
Not all those who wander are lost.
Ė J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline marufo

• Coyote
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 10:41:00 AM »
How does it compare to Parent's book?

Parent: 240 pages, $22.95
Hiker's Guide: 24 pages, $3.95

As badknees mentioned, the Hiker's Guide is intended for new visitors and occasional hikers; if you're a member of this forum, the Parent book is more comprehensive and probably more what you're looking for.

The Hiker's Guide is the current revision of a booklet that goes back decades: here is the cover of the 1971 version:

Offline kayziewayzie

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 06:59:28 PM »
Buy L. Parent's book "Hiking Big Bend". It's waaaaaaaaaaaay better with all the detail you will need to find some great spots in Big Bend NP. Can find used book at www.gettextbooks.co m by entering title or author, etc. The versions haven't changed much over the last few years. Blessings, K

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 07:24:49 PM »
Buy L. Parent's book "Hiking Big Bend". It's waaaaaaaaaaaay better with all the detail you will need to find some great spots in Big Bend NP. Can find used book at www.gettextbooks.co m by entering title or author, etc. The versions haven't changed much over the last few years. Blessings, K

Consider that while Parent's book is excellent, he didn't have a guide book to lead him while compiling the information (well, he probably used the park guide as a starting point, but we all know how limited it is).

That means anyone with a bit of adventurer spirit and outdoor competence in them can do the same. Hike without a guide; book or otherwise, and see marvelous things that you find on your own voyage of discovery. It's always more exciting and satisfying to find something you didn't have prior knowledge about.

None of the explorers throughout history ever would have done what they did if they had needed or waited for someone to produce a guidebook.

If you stay off the trails helpfully outlined in the various books, you generally will have the park to yourself rather than being part of the caterpillar hiking club, constantly walking in other hiker's footprints.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline JordanFiveOh

• Kangaroo Rat
Hiker's Guide
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 10:35:16 PM »
I have this, as well as the road guide. Most recent versions, I believe. Still says revised in 2011.

Itís good as a quick guide and actually does have some of the lesser known stuff like Banta Shut-in, Strawhouse, Slickrock Canyon, etc. (Parentís book doesnít have Banta). So while is is not nearly as comprehensive it is worth the few bucks it costs I think as a quick reference.

Edit: fixed the sideways images.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!