Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Julia Nail Interviews

• 13 Replies

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
Julia Nail Interviews
« on: March 17, 2018, 08:59:02 PM »
Posting here links to two interviews with Julia Nail Moss, Sam Nail's daughter.

First one is from 1988, which I got from this thread:

Interview with Julia Nail Moss and Ernest Speck, 1988

Second one is from 1994, which I ran across today while chasing another lead:

Interview with Julia Nail Moss by John R. Moore, 1994

The first is from UT San Antonio, the second from UT El Paso. Both links can be used as a starting point to search their respective oral history databases.

-Flash

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
Re: Julia Nail Interviews
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 09:47:58 PM »
Nice Flash! Thanks for sharing this.   

Sent from my SM-N950U using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 10:30:53 PM »
Thanks, Flash!  Perfect timing.  Just what I needed. Your historical sleuthing powers always amaze me.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 11:47:02 AM »
Thanks Flash.  Interesting reads but the first one the interviewers are pretty lame and not sure why they were interviewing her as they really didn't seem to know much about Big Bend.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 01:24:44 PM by mule ears »
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 12:40:54 PM »
Thanks Flash.  Interesting reads but the first one the interviewer are pretty lame and not sure why they were interviewing her as they really didn't seem to know much about Big Bend.
Agreed. Found myself skipping ahead through all the noise and skimming for the facts. Preferred the second one myself.

Offline Jalco

• Black Bear
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 01:25:53 PM »
The more I read about the region, the more frustrated I become w/ the park service's decision to remove all the signs of human habitation.  What a waste and disservice!

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 06:15:06 PM »
The more I read about the region, the more frustrated I become w/ the park service's decision to remove all the signs of human habitation.  What a waste and disservice!

Well, the NPS is the self-appointed expert on matters of preservation and conservation. Just ask them.

Unfortunately, their "expertise" in such matters is not borne out by the reality of their actions. They don't walk the talk.

Consider it sheer luck that they did not erase all of the ranching/historic use in their never-ending zeal to recreate an idyllic image of something that never was.

Since what the NPS IS expert at is entertaining tourists, I am perplexed that Big Bend does not have a golf course like Death Valley NP does. After all, what is more appropriate for tourist entertainment in a national park than an obscenely green, artificial oasis in the middle of any desert (and the hottest/driest one in the US at Death Valley).

GOLF! It does a National Park good.

So sensible. So attuned to the needs of tourists. Undoubtedly, a world class golf course still could be built in the Basin. Think of how challenging it would be and the crowds it would draw to test themselves on a supremely difficult course in an unparalleled setting. Golfers would not be allowed to drive into the Basin, so as to not unduly affect the other tourists who are there for different entertainment venues. Golfers would ride the new chair lift that would follow the power line up Green Gulch.

Golfers would pay any green fee the NPS decided to charge (just look at what green fees are these days). Heck, they might make enough money off of golfers to stop nickle-and-diming the rest of us to death.

Everybody wins and it would be "par" for the agency.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 08:22:50 PM »
One thing the 1994 interview mentions (p. 8 ) is that the route taken from the Nail Place to Marathon was northward through Slick Rock. This route was also mentioned in Woodie Guthrie's tall tale Seeds of Man.

Offline Lance

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 09:49:58 AM »
One thing the 1994 interview mentions (p. 8 ) is that the route taken from the Nail Place to Marathon was northward through Slick Rock. This route was also mentioned in Woodie Guthrie's tall tale Seeds of Man.

Good find Flash. You can see the route on the old 1931 topo and even some remnants on Google Earth today.

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 10:05:09 AM »

Good find Flash. You can see the route on the old 1931 topo and even some remnants on Google Earth today.

Thanks. There was discussion in another thread about what "Slick Rock Gap" might mean vs. "Slickrock Canyon", etc. I might speculate from the 1931 map that the gap and the canyon could be considered two separate things, i.e. "Slick Rock Gap" may be the route the road follows between Slickrock Mountain and Croton Peak leading northward to Onion Flat.

Offline Lance

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 10:30:38 AM »
I would agree with that. “Slick Rock Gap” would be where the road went.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 12:28:29 PM »
I would agree with that. “Slick Rock Gap” would be where the road went.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agreed
Not all those who wander are lost.
– J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 10:39:32 PM »
Update: I ran across the audio of the 1994 Julia Nail Moss interview while looking for something else:

Listen to the audio of the 1994 interview

Nice to hear her actually pronounce the place and people names such as Study Butte, Marathon, Buttrill, etc.

-Flash

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 08:05:22 AM »
Great to hear her strong voice, when I read the transcripts it made her sound old and feeble.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!