Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Need Book Suggestions

• 8 Replies

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
Need Book Suggestions
« on: April 19, 2011, 09:06:26 AM »
Good morning.  I got as Kindle finally, mostly for hiking/camping/travelling.  I need good book suggestions to populate it.  Warning, I read A LOT, so newer or obscure book suggestions are better.  Not necessarily BB related, but outdoorsy; especially mountains.  Or desert.  Many thanks.

Offline bbbrain

• Coyote
Re: Need Book Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 09:19:48 AM »
Edward Abbey.  The aforementioned Empire of the Summer Moon by S. C. Gwynne.  J. Frank Dobie.  Tony Hillerman, but only the early ones.

Offline bbbrain

• Coyote
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 09:24:02 AM »
God's Country or Devil's Playground.  Goodbye to a River.  Parent's hiking guides.

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • I'd rather be on the South Rim
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 09:42:26 AM »
See this thread for lots of Big Bend-related suggestions, though many may not have gone digital yet.
Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

"We'll be back, someday soon. We will return, someday, and when we do the gritty
splendor and the complicated grandeur of Big Bend will still be here. Waiting for us."--Ed Abbey

Offline dkerr24

• Mountain Lion
  • The worst day hiking > the best day in a cubicle.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 10:25:46 AM »
Congratulations on your Kindle purchase.  I bought one for my wife a few months ago, and I can hardly pry it from her fingers to recharge it.

Darin

Ray52

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 05:27:15 PM »
Let me suggest Ranger Confidential by Andrea Lankford, and on a similar topic, The Last Season by Eric Blehm which I picked up at Terlingua Trading Post a few months ago.  And since someone has already mentioned Goodbye to a River, try From a Limestone Ledge also by John Graves.

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Old enough to know better, but...
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 07:24:05 PM »
"A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson and "Into Thin Air" by Jon Kralauer. 
Wake me when it's time to go.

Offline backpacker56

• Coyote
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 10:51:42 PM »
I would suggest going to www.spiritburner.co m and looking at the "Stoves in Literature" section, which contains excerpts from numerous titles.  The focus, obviously, is on classic stoves (e.g. Primus), however, as stoves usually make but a "cameo" appearance within a larger story, there is promise here of a rich harvest of good reading, some classic works, others less well-known.

One of my all-time favorite outdoor books is "The Forest" by Stewart Edward White.  I believe it dates from about 1903.  You have probably already read Colin Fletcher's "The Man Who Walked Through Time".  Good narrative of a great adventure, although I cannot recommend his philosophy.  I also like James Edward Corbett's stories about hunting man-eaters in India. 

Mountaineering literature is always good for me.  Gaston Rebuffat's "Starlight and Storm" comes to mind.  That reminds me, I've been wanting to find a copy of "My Life" by Andreas Heckmair.  He lead the first ascent of the Eiger Nordwand in 1938.  Heinrich Harrer was also in the first ascent party, and his book "The White Spider" is a classic.

John
"Ah, sure, I'm a gnawed old bone now, but say, don't you guys think the spirit's gone!"

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 08:24:59 AM »
I too am a big fan of "The Man Who Walked Through Time" but also very good by Fletcher is "River" where at 67 he walked and rafted the length of the Colorado River from it's source in the Wind River Range in Wyoming to the ocean.  Solo!  QS I know you can appreciate this book.  A bit introspective at times but quite an adventure.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!