Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Where are my Big Bend history buffs?

• 15 Replies

Offline kerriM

• Roadrunner
  • KG5INA
Re: Where are my Big Bend history buffs?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2019, 09:11:45 AM »
Ok here's another good one. The NPS website mentions Henry "Bobcat" Carter. I'm looking at book that claims people called him Bobcat, Pole Cat, and Prairie Dog Carter. All because he lived in an underground room by the side of the road somewhere between Marathon and Hot Springs. People said he'd pop out of his room and talk your ear off he was so starved for company. Or he got the name because he's cook and eat these various animals. There's even a drawing of the man himself in this rare book. Someone named Willie Green and Guy Lee knew the man (this was from the early 30's).

Any idea which book this came from?

That one obviously wasn't much fun. I know there are a lot of books that mention Bobcat Carter. I thought this book's account of the man was fun because it was a bit different. And it included a sketch from the author HERSELF.

The book was From Darkness Into Light by Mildred Babb Adams, 1978.  fyi This book is overflowing with early photos of BB and the Adams ranch, along with family photos from both the Babb and Adams family.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!