Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

1st time BB Trip- Spring break Tent camping with RV

• 5 Replies

Offline MMPETERS

• Kangaroo Rat
1st time BB Trip- Spring break Tent camping with RV
« on: August 31, 2015, 04:54:43 PM »
Hello,

I have been reading several post on this sight but I was wondering if I could get some help. I am traveling with two other families from Dallas during Spring Break 2016 (6 adults and 6 kids ages (13-5). We will be traveling in an RV. We will be tent camping for two nights. Here are some questions I have. Thank you for your help.

1. Chisos Basin seems to be is best area to be centrally located to camp. Would you camp there or another location?

2. Will there be enough room on one camp sight for three tents? What about parking a rv...under 24 feet?

3. Are there any particular camp sights that would be preferable?

4. Any additional information would be helpful for a novice to Big Bend. Hikes, things not to miss etc.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
Re: 1st time BB Trip- Spring break Tent camping with RV
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 05:52:18 PM »
The Chisos Basin sites can be pretty tight space-wise and are pretty close together. If space is what you need for a large group, then Rio Grande Village is the ticket. In 2012, my extended family had 23 people (5 families) in 4 adjoining campsites and had plenty of room. We had sites 76, 77, 79, and 82, which really are end to end.  :icon_cool:

Here is the reservation map:
http://www.recreation.gov/camping/map_of_Rio_Grande_Village_Big_Bend/r/campgroundMap.do?page=map&search=site&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=74041

Offline MMPETERS

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 06:34:41 PM »
Thank you for the help! Really appreciate it!

Do you know of any place you would stay that has RV hookups?

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 06:55:54 PM »
There are some RV hookups in Rio Grande Village. They are located on the opposite side of the store from the campground.

Offline TheWildWestGuy

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 09:04:54 PM »
Be aware that you can NOT set up tents at the RV Campground in RGV, it's basically a big parking lot and although there is some green space behind the parking lot you are not allowed to set up tents there.  The RGV campground is about 2/3 mile away from the RGV RV Area/Parking Lot so a bit of a walk but not too bad.   If you want a RV site with hookups where you can also set up 3 tents near it then probably you want to go outside the park to Terlingua or Study Butte.   I don't think the RGV Campground has RV Hookup's although you are allowed to have an RV there.  Isn't that right guys?   TWWG

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 01:03:13 PM »
I don't think the RGV Campground has RV Hookup's although you are allowed to have an RV there.  Isn't that right guys?   TWWG

Yes that is correct, from the park website:

Rio Grande Village Campground -100-site campground (no hook-ups). $14 per night ($7with applicable passes). Flush toilets, running water, picnic tables, grills, and some overhead shelters. Dump station nearby.

Rio Grande Village RV Campground - 25-site concession-operated RV park (full hook-upsówater, electrical, and 3-inch sewer connection). $33, double occupancy, with a $3 additional per person charge. Periodically, a few sites may not be available for a 40' or longer RVs due to the size of the parking lot and orientation of the spaces. are available.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!