Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Basin on Presidents Day

• 4 Replies

Offline Jlupolt

• Kangaroo Rat
Basin on Presidents Day
« on: February 17, 2019, 08:29:04 AM »
I haven't been to Big Bend since around 2006, and it's becoming clear that visitor counts are a lot higher than they used to be.

Would anyone care to guess my chances of getting a walk-up site in the basin early afternoon on Monday (Presidents Day)?

I'm hiking the Outer Mountain Loop with a side trip along part of the rim, and I thought the Basin would be the simplest place to stay the night after my drive from Austin. I have a few backup plans: 1) a Chisos backcountry site 2) park near Homer Wilson to zone camp in Blue Creek and hike the OML from there or 3) zone camping elsewhere if the park is really full.

I'll try calling the park too but am curious what others think.

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
Re: Basin on Presidents Day
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 10:44:19 AM »
I think you have a reasonable chance of scoring a campsite in the Basin in mid-to-late afternoon on Monday, as most people will already be packed up and headed home by then.

Alternatively, zone camping near HW before starting your OML works great. Iíve done it several times. Puts you up the Blue Creek Canyon ascent first thing in the morning when itís still coolish.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Online mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 12:16:56 PM »
I think you have a reasonable chance of scoring a campsite in the Basin in mid-to-late afternoon on Monday, as most people will already be packed up and headed home by then.

Alternatively, zone camping near HW before starting your OML works great. Iíve done it several times. Puts you up the Blue Creek Canyon ascent first thing in the morning when itís still coolish.

+1 to all of the above.  Have a great trip, give us report!
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Jlupolt

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 11:31:06 AM »
Thanks, you were both correct. There was space at the Basin as well as plenty of free backcountry sites, and I stayed at BM3 for the night then walked a clockwise OML via the Pinnacles starting in the morning. I'll post a report soon. The rest of the Boulder Meadow sites were empty, and I think only one person was staying at Juniper Flat.

Near the major road-accessible sites there were more cars than 10-15 years ago, but once I got past the South Rim turnoff I only saw 3 other people in 2 days: 1 person walking counterclockwise in the middle of the Dodson, and 2 more walking counterclockwise on the Dodson near Homer Wilson Ranch.

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 04:31:50 PM »
Excellent! Iím glad it worked out so well for you. I envy you being there and look forward to hearing more about your trip. Well done!

"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!