Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Basin or RGC in early March?

• 4 Replies

Offline kbingy

• Kangaroo Rat
Basin or RGC in early March?
« on: January 06, 2015, 09:46:25 AM »
Another question.  I think we would like the Basin campground for location and beauty but what about weather the first week in March at that high of elevation?  I keep reading that it could be colder at RGC than the basin in spite of elevation? If thats the case, we would definately do the Basin.  I realize no one can predict the weather however, maybe some past experinences?  Thanks all.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Basin or RGC in early March?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 10:21:52 AM »
Another question.  I think we would like the Basin campground for location and beauty but what about weather the first week in March at that high of elevation?  I keep reading that it could be colder at RGC than the basin in spite of elevation? If thats the case, we would definately do the Basin.  I realize no one can predict the weather however, maybe some past experinences?  Thanks all.
In March you are much more likely to be concerned about it being warm rather than cold. It's always possible a cold front could come through, but those are fairly rare in March.

http://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/weather.htm

To check out weather data from past years, try
RGV: http://raws.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/roman/past.cgi?stn=TS645&day1=06&month1=03&year1=2014
Chisos: http://raws.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/roman/past.cgi?stn=CSBT2&day1=6&month1=3&year1=2014

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 10:47:51 AM »
In March you are much more likely to be concerned about it being warm rather than cold. It's always possible a cold front could come through, but those are fairly rare in March.

You are coming to a vastly different climate than you live in. March has the potential to be very warm. The entire park, except for a few places along the river is higher than the high point of Michigan. The Basin is much higher.

The air is thin and dry and dehydration is a real possibility because it's not as obvious you are losing water since the humidity levels are low and a lot of sweat is insensible in conditions which feel very comfortable.

Drink lots of water and wear a hat. Sunscreen is a good idea (but I prefer long sleeve shirts even in summer).

Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline ds9writer

• Diamondback
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 10:52:00 AM »
Ditto - compared to Michigan in March, you'll probably be sweating!   :icon_lol:

It may freeze slightly that week - I'm pretty sure we've had freezing or near-freezing nights the last couple years we were there, and we weren't up higher in the basin either...

but day time temps are wonderful (especially to those of us from down here who are used to day after day of 100's in the summer!)
You don't travel to see different things,
You travel to see things differently.

Offline kbingy

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 11:03:58 AM »
We just made reservations for 6 nights at the basin for the first week of March, then 2 nights at RGV so I guess I'll find out.  Good info about dehydration.  Didn't even occur to me.  This is our first cross country with a small camper experience.  We have backpacked and camped all over the place, but just recently retired and have the time to go further and longer than ever before so lots to learn....apreciate the info.  :eusa_clap:

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!