Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Campground near Presidio/BBRSP West Entrance

• 10 Replies

Offline westtexasrambler

• Kangaroo Rat
    • Rio Bravo Ranch Campground
Campground near Presidio/BBRSP West Entrance
« on: February 09, 2019, 02:44:05 PM »
Hello all,

My wife and I have started a small partially developed campground (read shade structure, picnic table, 32" fire pit with wood available for purchase in 4 cubic foot intervals) off of Casa Piedra Road and FM170.  We are roughly 7 miles East of Presidio.  As some of you might have read, my family has owned this property since the late 70's and I spent and spend much of my life down here.  After spending a few Spring Breaks talking with people traveling Casa Piedra we identified a need, if only a small one, for camping options that were accessible by low clearance 2wd but yet maintained the fantastic vistas and sense of isolation that people come here for.  Anyway, we would love to host tent campers and RV campers who are okay with Primitive camping in a beautiful setting. 

I have attached the social media links below.  Please feel free to email or call us and we will do our best to help you if you are looking for lodging options/campsites near BBRSP. 

https://www.instagram.com/riobravoranchtx/
https://www.facebook.com/riobravoranchtx/
https://www.hipcamp.com/texas/rio-bravo-ranch/rio-bravo-ranch

Take care,

'Rambler
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 08:30:49 PM by westtexasrambler »
"People always talk about my drinking but they never ask about my thirst." -Bandera songwriter

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
Re: Campground near Presidio/BBRSP West Entrance
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 03:06:37 PM »
Looks like a pretty place, Rambler!

Offline westtexasrambler

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 03:12:57 PM »
Looks like a pretty place, Rambler!

Thank you!  We love it!

ĎRambler

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"People always talk about my drinking but they never ask about my thirst." -Bandera songwriter

Offline kerrpanda

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 10:06:32 PM »
Looks awesome and convenient! Might have to take advantage in April! Good to know now that BBNP is always full, now  >:(

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 04:08:39 PM »
I follow y'all on IG!  Looks like you have a great spot out there.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 04:20:18 PM »
Interesting
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline westtexasrambler

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 11:24:43 AM »
Interesting

BW - Yessir, I have been enjoying your trip reports on here for some time and have learned a fair amount for my own backcountry excursions from your pics/videos.

Ranger Tim - it certainly isnít a Guale 2 but hopefully we can provide an easily accessible spot for some of the occasional overflow periods, people with low clearance vehicles and some of the folks who arrive late and donít want to run all the way into the park interior at night. 
Give me a shout sometime if you are in the area and Iíd love to give you a tour to see what we have to offer....in the event yíall are ever full and hear of someone looking for a spot.

Take care,

ĎRambler

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 12:09:36 PM »
One thing I can suggest, as long as it isn't against the park rules, is to talk to the folks at Ft. Leaton.
When we were there Saturday during the shutdown, there were a few folks looking for places to stay and the staff wasn't too familiar with other local spots.
Go introduce yourselves, they were very friendly and did their best to be helpful to the folks who didn't plan very well for that week.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline westtexasrambler

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 01:10:11 PM »
Thatís a good idea, Iíll go by Ft. Leaton and Sauceda to introduce myself, etc.  I am working the EDC manager in Presidio to get trifolds made to put on the various kiosks around the Big Bend area as well.

Ranger Tim - Any thoughts on the best way to approach this?

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 08:03:15 PM »
You could drop by and introduce yourself to Manuela (FLSHS super) or call over to the Barton Warnock and ask to chat with Nathaniel Gold (Complex super). We offer suggestions on off-park camping all the time so it shouldn't be a problem to give us some information about your operation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Big Bend Chat mobile app

"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline westtexasrambler

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 08:09:48 PM »
Great, thank you for he names.  Iíll definitely give them a visit when Iím down there.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!