Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Chisos Basin Campground Walk-up availability?

• 2 Replies

Offline jc3589

• Kangaroo Rat
Chisos Basin Campground Walk-up availability?
« on: May 23, 2019, 11:56:25 PM »
Hello all! New here to thw forums and had a quick question, my wife and I were planning to go to BB for our first time ever May 27-31 but it looks like all the campsites at Chisos Basin are reserved already for the entire week and there seems to only be walk-up availability after that.  My question is how is the availability for Chisos Basin sites say June 3-7th which are all weekdays?? I was sort of surprised that weekday availability was gone so we were nervous about the same situation occurring in June.

Edit: So I just realized that 26 of the sites are reservable and the rest are non-reservable, what would the chances of us getting one of the non-reservable sites on mon/tuesday (May 27 or May 28th) be?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 01:11:41 AM by jc3589 »

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Chisos Basin Campground Walk-up availability?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 08:04:15 AM »
Read through this topic: http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/big-bend-campgrounds/basin-campground-info/

Campsites are only reserveable through May 31, so in June everything is walkup.

Online Don H

• Diamondback
Re: Chisos Basin Campground Walk-up availability?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 02:38:13 PM »
Just leaving the park today.  Chisos Basin is a zoo.  Campground is full, reservable and non reservable sites and have been all week.  We stayed out on Pine Canyon road.  When we left this morning 3 out of those five sites were occupied. 
"Rugged isolation in a Jeep with the top down, doors off, sweaty, dusty, listening to your flavor of tunes, immersed in the most beautiful and beguiling desert mountains in all of the Southwest, the Sierra Quemada. Nothing short of spiritual cleansing. " D. Locke

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!