Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Chisos Basin in November

• 4 Replies

Offline Jefferydean

• Kangaroo Rat
Chisos Basin in November
« on: August 07, 2018, 03:15:36 PM »
Greetings all. New to the forum, but have already found some great info and seems like very helpful people! A couple questions I would love some input on.
1. My son (13) and I are looking at camping at Chisos Basin early november. I know weather can be unpredictable but is it safe to assume, nice days and chilly nights? Doubtful below freezing true?
2. Chisos Basin Campsites - It seems ALL spots are not reservable now, true? First come first serve? If this is the case how early would we need to arrive to claim a spot? 8:30am? It will be a Wednesday morning. Any chance of it being full on a Wednesday?
3. We will stay the night before in Ft Stockton and drive in early that Wednesday morning. We'll be there for 3 nights

Thanks in advance for any input!

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
Re: Chisos Basin in November
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 03:47:53 PM »
Greetings all. New to the forum, but have already found some great info and seems like very helpful people! A couple questions I would love some input on.
1. My son (13) and I are looking at camping at Chisos Basin early november. I know weather can be unpredictable but is it safe to assume, nice days and chilly nights? Doubtful below freezing true?
2. Chisos Basin Campsites - It seems ALL spots are not reservable now, true? First come first serve? If this is the case how early would we need to arrive to claim a spot? 8:30am? It will be a Wednesday morning. Any chance of it being full on a Wednesday?
3. We will stay the night before in Ft Stockton and drive in early that Wednesday morning. We'll be there for 3 nights

1. Weather is highly variable. Attached is Nov 2017 daily temps by hour. This should give you an idea. Last year the coldest temp was 11/19/2017 05:53 CST   37.99 F. The high for the month was 11/06/2017 15:53 CST   84.99F

The minimum high was 11/19/2017 15:53 CST   57F

2. The majority of sites are first come. If you are going in early Nov, you should be good, especially mid week.  If it's near Thanksgiving  ---- No guarantees.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 03:55:24 PM by badknees »
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 11:39:20 PM »
Going to the Bend at peak times requires "Plan-B" thinking - you have to be flexible and have a alternative plan(s).

Have you thought about Big Bend Ranch State Park?
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline Jonathan Sadow

• Coyote
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 02:24:53 AM »

1. Weather is highly variable. Attached is Nov 2017 daily temps by hour. This should give you an idea. Last year the coldest temp was 11/19/2017 05:53 CST   37.99 F. The high for the month was 11/06/2017 15:53 CST   84.99F

If you're interested in the November averages for the 1981-2010 period for the Chisos Basin, for November 1 the average daily high was 68.97.2F, and the low was 48.37.3F.  By November 30, the high was 60.98.7F, and the low was 40.48.5F.  You likely wouldn't get a lot of rain - the Basin averaged only 0.57 inches for all of November during that time span.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 09:23:15 AM »

2. The majority of sites are first come. If you are going in early Nov, you should be good, especially mid week.  If it's near Thanksgiving  ---- No guarantees.
Early November is unlikely to see freezing temps, but with Big Bend you never know. I've experienced highs near 80 in November before, so be prepared for both. All Basin campground sites are first come through November 14. Some years the chili cookoff weekend will be crowded, and Veterans Day weekend is often fairly crowded as well. The last few years the park has seen a lot more visitation, so the "old school" info doesn't hold up as well.

Just in case there's a crowd:
As you enter the campground, you'll see this on your right before you get to the campsites. Grab a form and take it with you (make sure you have a pen to fill it out). If you see an open unreserved site, fill out the form and leave the tear-off portion in the clip on the numbered post marking the site. Then fill out the envelope and put your check or cash in it and put it in the Iron Ranger. If you don't find an open one or see anyone packing up to leave, find the campground host and see if he knows of any open sites or ones coming open. On busy days he'll be out walking the campground.  He'll usually have a clipboard. Not sure if he wears a uniform shirt or not, but he's always been wearing something green when I've talked to him. :ranger:

I'd recommend printing out this map and taking it with you. That way if the host says #59 is open you'll know how to find it. You'll also know which ones are the reserveable ones.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!