Big Bend Chat
Big Bend National Park Q&A => Campgrounds => Topic started by: Meadows8903 on August 11, 2015, 12:17:19 PM
On my next Big Bend trip in late February 2016, my party is arriving on Thursday and plan to camp in the Basin campground. The next night, we plan to hike and camp in a backcountry Chisos site. On Saturday, we plan to return to the Basin and stay one last night there again before leaving on Sunday (probably with a visit to RGV for a much needed shower that evening!)
Would it be advisable to book the campsite in the Basin for three nights even though one of those nights we would not physically be there? It would save us time as we would not have to completely break camp the morning before the hike and it would give me a place to leave my truck while we are away. I'm wondering if the campsites discourage this practice or if it is something that happens all the time and is expected. This will be a couple of weeks before the main spring break crowds arrive and I imagine campgrounds should be readily available.
Technically, you are not supposed to "keep" a Chisos site when you are not physically there. At that time of year, though, you may be able to work something out with the campground host. Or, you can keep your mouth shut and do the hike. Not sure whether they would even notice you were gone a night or what they would do even if they did.
Been there done that. I would talk to the host. If no one is kept from a spot due to your holding a spot, and you pay for the spot, the host usually would not have a problem. I have done this a few times over the years, based out of the Chisos and wander off for a night. But I checked with the host and it was OK. It was dead summer and there were not many folk there, much less anyone needing a spot.
Thanks for the information guys. I'm going to reserve it for all 3 nights. I'll play it by ear and talk to the host if I think it will be a problem or if the campground is full. With a tent still standing, my truck in the parking area, a current reservation and fees already paid, I can't see how they would know or even assume that we aren't there.
Thanks for the information guys. I'm going to reserve it for all 3 nights. I'll play it by ear and talk to the host if I think it will be a problem or if the campground is full. With a tent still standing, my truck in the parking area, a current reservation and fees already paid, I can't see how they would know or even assume that we aren't there.Well, you posted it here for them to read. While the campground host would not be likely to hold your post against you, the same cannot be said about the rangers.
Property left unattended for more than 24 hours will be impounded and the campsite forfeited, regardless of whether or not it is reservable or non-reservable.
Well, I believe honesty is the best policy anyway, so I'll let them know and if they decide we need to pack up and vacate the campground for the second night, we can do that. We can be flexible for the 3rd night if need be. Either way, I don't foresee a major problem.
We did that a few years ago - camped a couple of nights in the Basin, left all our gear (camper and truck) at the site, hiked up to the rim and overnighted at SW4 and then returned for several more days in the campground. I told both the CG host and the staff member who issued our overnight permit of our plans and neither voiced an objection.