Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Keeping campground in Basin while camping overnight in Chisos?

• 6 Replies

Offline Meadows8903

• Roadrunner
Greetings!

On my next Big Bend trip in late February 2016, my party is arriving on Thursday and plan to camp in the Basin campground. The next night, we plan to hike and camp in a backcountry Chisos site. On Saturday, we plan to return to the Basin and stay one last night there again before leaving on Sunday (probably with a visit to RGV for a much needed shower that evening!)

Would it be advisable to book the campsite in the Basin for three nights even though one of those nights we would not physically be there? It would save us time as we would not have to completely break camp the morning before the hike and it would give me a place to leave my truck while we are away. I'm wondering if the campsites discourage this practice or if it is something that happens all the time and is expected. This will be a couple of weeks before the main spring break crowds arrive and I imagine campgrounds should be readily available.

Thoughts, experiences?
"Bend-ing since 1992"

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Old enough to know better, but...
Re: Keeping campground in Basin while camping overnight in Chisos?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 03:45:33 PM »
Technically, you are not supposed to "keep" a Chisos site when you are not physically there.   At that time of year, though, you may be able to work something out with the campground host.   Or, you can keep your mouth shut and do the hike.  Not sure whether they would even notice you were gone a night or what they would do even if they did.
Wake me when it's time to go.

Offline Talusman

• Black Bear
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 04:05:38 PM »
Been there done that. I would talk to the host. If no one is kept from a spot due to your holding a spot, and you pay for the spot, the host usually would not have a problem. I have done this a few times over the years, based out of the Chisos and wander off for a night. But I checked with the host and it was OK. It was dead summer and there were not many folk there, much less anyone needing a spot.
"To Think is easy. To Act is difficult. To Act as one Thinks is the most difficult!"

Offline Meadows8903

• Roadrunner
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 11:41:15 AM »
Thanks for the information guys. I'm going to reserve it for all 3 nights.  I'll play it by ear and talk to the host if I think it will be a problem or if the campground is full. With a tent still standing, my truck in the parking area, a current reservation and fees already paid, I can't see how they would know or even assume that we aren't there.
"Bend-ing since 1992"

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 11:47:52 PM »
Thanks for the information guys. I'm going to reserve it for all 3 nights.  I'll play it by ear and talk to the host if I think it will be a problem or if the campground is full. With a tent still standing, my truck in the parking area, a current reservation and fees already paid, I can't see how they would know or even assume that we aren't there.
Well, you posted it here for them to read. While the campground host would not be likely to hold your post against you, the same cannot be said about the rangers.

Unattended Property
Property left unattended for more than 24 hours will be impounded and the campsite forfeited, regardless of whether or not it is reservable or non-reservable.

Offline Meadows8903

• Roadrunner
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 12:47:51 PM »
Well, I believe honesty is the best policy anyway, so I'll let them know and if they decide we need to pack up and vacate the campground for the second night, we can do that. We can be flexible for the 3rd night if need be. Either way, I don't foresee a major problem.
"Bend-ing since 1992"

Offline huachuca

• Roadrunner
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 12:29:06 PM »
We did that a few years ago - camped a couple of nights in the Basin, left all our gear (camper and truck) at the site, hiked up to the rim and overnighted at SW4 and then returned for several more days in the campground.  I told both the CG host and the staff member who issued our overnight permit of our plans and neither voiced an objection. 

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!