Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Looking for suggestions on a late arrival.

• 8 Replies

Offline Rio42

• Kangaroo Rat
Looking for suggestions on a late arrival.
« on: July 23, 2017, 07:39:46 PM »
Hello ladies and gents!!

Been a while since I've been on the boards since earlier this year. Life took a happy turn and we're now expecting our first baby in  Late November!

Having said that, two other buddies of mine are also expecting babies later this year and we're wanting to make one last trip somewhere, guys only, before we're bedded down for a while taking in our babies.

So we were planning on making this trip in late September and, like the title says, we're going to be arriving late. Like around 10pm. We all work together and get off work at 5pm and plan on being on the road no later than 6. So, I was wondering what y'all think about finding a spot in the chisos campground so late on a Friday? I feel like it's going to be a long shot, and am somewhat leaning on staying at stillwell our first night then finding a spot the next morning and then getting some hiking in. So what are yalls thoughts on finding a spot in the park? Good, bad? Yalls input is greatly appreciated!!

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
Re: Looking for suggestions on a late arrival.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 08:28:17 PM »
Late September is too early in the season to be able to have a reservation, so you will have to get a site on a walk in basis. Having said that, short of reserving a Lodge room, this is your only option (this or Cottonwood though RGV might be back by then).  You should have a pretty fair chance at a site in the Basin, but may have to go to Cottonwood or RGV otherwise. 

Offline Rio42

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 08:33:04 PM »
Yea. I tried that. You think even getting there that late on a Friday we'd have a chance at a basin walk in?

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 08:44:07 PM »
Yea. I tried that. You think even getting there that late on a Friday we'd have a chance at a basin walk in?
Again you should have a fair chance at a site in the Basin, but need to be willing to go to either Cottonwood or RGV if that falls through. RGV will very likely not be full.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 09:07:51 PM »
I'd say you odds are good in late September for the Basin.

RGV is scheduled to reopen on Sept 01
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 08:05:21 AM by badknees »
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Rio42

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 09:25:34 PM »
Thanks for the hopeful posts!

We're planning on being there Sept. 22 thru Sept. 24 if anyone is around that weekend, feel free to message me!! I'm gonna re-up the data in my truck so hopefully we'll be able to have some data while at camp. Before y'all judge, remember, all of our wives are pregnant and we need to keep in touch with them!

Offline Rio42

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 03:05:02 PM »
So, looks like RGV won't be back up and running till dang near November!!!

Does it look like the park is going to be busy in a couple of weeks? I remember seeing a chart of previous park occupancies but can't find it again. Any insight will be super appreciated!!

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 08:30:20 AM »
Go here and change the date to last year at the time you are interested in to see how busy they were.

http://75.41.147.131/permits/welcome.php
The older I get, the more I realize what freedom really means.  May God bless America

Offline Rio42

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 10:00:43 AM »
Perfect!! Didn't think about that! Looking like we'll be ok. Hopefully. Planning on getting to panther junction, looking at the campground sign, hoping it's correct and making a decision from there. Stillwell isn't that far anyways.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2017 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!