Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Low clearance car at Nugent Mountain?

• 2 Replies

Offline Bobbie Fiasco

• Kangaroo Rat
Low clearance car at Nugent Mountain?
« on: February 14, 2020, 09:08:42 AM »
Hello Benders, does anyone have experience with the Nugent Mountain primitive roadside sites? The Parks service recommends high clearance vehicles for the access road to the campsite, but I have heard that you can get away with a regular sedan unless there has been recent rain that ruts the road. Does anyone have experience with the quality of this road? It is the unimproved road near Panther Junction that eventually leads to Pine Canyon and has a turnoff for the Glenn Spring Road (but I'm not talking about going down that far)

Thanks!

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Re: Low clearance car at Nugent Mountain?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 11:15:00 AM »
I am sure that others will chime in but I have taken a sedan all the way down to the Juniper canyon road turn off (not on the Juniper canyon road itself) but I have not driven into the Nuggent Mtn. campsite itself
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Mesquito

• Roadrunner
Re: Low clearance car at Nugent Mountain?
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 03:17:17 PM »
I drove by there 4 times a couple of weeks ago.  Glenn Springs Road, normally pretty good, is in excellent shape. Someone was parked at Nugent with a large trailer.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!