Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

New member / New to Big Bend - seeking campground advice

• 3 Replies

Offline bassdogs

• Kangaroo Rat
New member / New to Big Bend - seeking campground advice
« on: January 16, 2017, 09:22:05 AM »
Heading out around EOM Jan for a roadtrip to SW Texas and Big Bend NP is one of our priority destinations. We will likely head to BB mid to late Feb after a visit to the Carlsbad area. It appears the reservable sites are filled so we will be going for one of the drive up sites in the RGVillage. We do not need hookups. Familiar with the first come sites at other parks around the country, but given the distances and drive time the BBend park seems to make it difficult to arrive early on the day of arrival.

A couple ??'s: 1] What are my chances of finding an open site for my 32' TT at the RGV campground? 2] Advice on strategy to optimize my chances? 3] Is there anywhere new arrivals can overnite near the NP so we can get to the RGV as early as possible the next morning? Thank you for sharing your experience.

Offline ds9writer

• Diamondback
Re: New member / New to Big Bend - seeking campground advice
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 09:30:11 AM »
Not sure about your first 2 questions, as we usually do tents in the back country, but for #3, there is a nice campground in Marathon.  It's around 40 miles to the park entrance.  We stayed there the night before we hit the park one year, got up before 7 and were at the park by the time the ranger station opened...

You don't travel to see different things,
You travel to see things differently.

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 10:35:49 AM »
Stillwell's, just outside the park's northeast entrance (Persimmon Gap) is probably your best bet.

https://stillwellstore.com

However, take my recommendation with a grain of salt because I'm a tent camper and don't know much about RV or trailering.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline EdB

• Coyote
    • my blog
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 04:40:49 PM »
A couple ??'s: 1] What are my chances of finding an open site for my 32' TT at the RGV campground? 2] Advice on strategy to optimize my chances?

1) Pretty good if you show up Monday through Thursday.
2) Show up Monday through Thursday.  ;)

I just looked at the reservable sites on random dates in the 2nd half of February. They were full on the weekends but had decent availability during the week. Since the reservable sites aren't booked solid during the week, you can pretty much guarantee the first-come, first-served sites will have openings as well. The only question is whether there will be one that is long enough for your TT and I'm of no use there since I don't know the lengths of the various first-come, first-served sites.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!