Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

SUV tent in Chisos

• 4 Replies

Offline jenlea

• Kangaroo Rat
SUV tent in Chisos
« on: January 13, 2020, 04:39:09 PM »
New here, but have been reading & researching. Husband and I will be coming into the park to camp for 3 nights, Sun Feb 23. My issue is we don't have a reservation yet, and we are camping with our Subaru Outback with a tent (10x10) attached, meaning we are sleeping in the cargo area. I cannot for the life of me figure out if we will have enough space in the campsites. I believe the tent could be set up on pavement if needed, since we won't be sleeping on the ground. It just looks like all the site have a parking area and then large rocks blocking us from actually using this set up. I'm hoping to figure this out as we are planning to hike quite a bit. FYI: we have thought long and hard about this camping setup and are hoping to make it work for personal & budget reasons.

My other concern is if I don't get a site when they open up more sites for reservations on Jan. 15, will we be able to get a fcfs site, since there will be less.
Cottonwood is a possible option, but it seems too far from most of our hikes.

Jennifer

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
Re: SUV tent in Chisos
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 05:32:30 PM »
The Chisos sites are as you think they are.  Your tent set up is a very limiting factor for places to camp.  You would be way better of in terms of sleeping room and comfort if you used a tent by itself.  Without knowing your personal reasons, budget wise you can get a big tent from Academy, and sleeping cots for inside under $200.  That's 2 nights at a hotel, so you're saving $100 right there.  The tent will last long enough for you to find out if you really want to do the camping thing.

The reservation system sucks.  Your experience is illustrative to how it makes it real hard on campers who have short planning windows for their trips.  Sorry, that's our NPS.   :wee_hee:
If other countries on the planet want to see America suffer and ultimately destroyed, who are they cheering for right now?  Trump, or the leftist democrats and their media supported hate machine?

Seek out the facts for yourself.  Begin by using Startpage.com,  not google.

May God Bless America!

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 06:34:43 PM »
a 10x10 tent will limit you on the sights available. not every site has room for a single tent that large. there are several that do, but you cant put your tent on the concrete next to the SUV. The campground layout is just not that flexible.

I suggest using the satellite view and zoom in on the basing camp ground to get an idea of what you will be facing
everything is better with bacon!!!

http://jamesb.smugmug.com/BigBendNationalPark/

Offline Hang10er

• Black Bear
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 07:44:17 AM »
As a backup plan you can skip the tent altogether and just throw your pad and sleeping bag on the ground.  Better views.

Offline Owl

• Roadrunner
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 08:31:41 AM »
...we are camping with our Subaru Outback with a tent (10x10) attached...

I thought Outback owners only used rooftop tents.   :icon_smile:

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!