Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Wildfire impact

• 3 Replies

Offline huachuca

• Roadrunner
Wildfire impact
« on: May 28, 2019, 08:09:30 PM »
Anyone with firsthand knowledge on the status of the fire that destroyed the store and visitor center at Castolon and related closures?  Looks like Cottonwood CG is closed for now.  We’re planning to spend a few days in the Park around June 10 +/-. 

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
Re: Wildfire impact
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 08:44:59 PM »
No first hand knowledge here, but the Park web page has some info here:

https://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

It says you can now get to Santa Elena Canyon via Maverick Road. Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive is open all the way down to Mile 22.

- Flash

Offline huachuca

• Roadrunner
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 09:34:47 AM »
Thanks - I appreciate the link.

Offline Ridgewalkertrent

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 04:05:04 PM »
Anyone with firsthand knowledge on the status of the fire that destroyed the store and visitor center at Castolon and related closures?  Looks like Cottonwood CG is closed for now.  We’re planning to spend a few days in the Park around June 10 +/-.
I will be in the area June 12. It will be my first time to the park. I am hoping to learn a lot here and on this post also.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Big Bend Chat mobile app

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!