Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

A JULY! OML trip report from Reddit

• 77 Replies

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
A JULY! OML trip report from Reddit
« on: July 27, 2018, 03:02:09 PM »
The first time I have ever seen a report from a July trip.  He started with 14 liters of water.   :icon_redface:
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
Re: A JULY! OML trip report from Reddit
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 03:55:58 PM »
The first time I have ever seen a report from a July trip.  He started with 14 liters of water.   :icon_redface:

30 lbs of water is more than this old man is carrying!

I guess I should say well done, but it's still hard for me to condone that plan. He was lucky it rained. That probably saved him a couple of liters of water. It easily could have turned out differently.
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 04:34:36 PM »
That was pretty impressive.

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 07:04:28 PM »
Tell people "don't" and some will "do" just to show you.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 10:15:16 PM »

And, some will say 'hold my beer and watch this.'
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 08:53:55 AM »

And some will say "if you want to experience genuine desert conditions, you go to the desert in the summer."

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 11:18:08 AM »

And some will say "if you want to experience genuine desert conditions, you go to the desert in the summer."

Hey, I said that!

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 12:10:31 PM »

Hey, I said that!

:icon_biggrin:

Offline Keepa

• Coyote
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 01:09:36 PM »
Nuts! The margin for error in these conditions is nearly zero. A sprained ankle could have led to his death.

He accomplished it, but it was unwise.

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 01:16:26 PM »
Nuts! The margin for error in these conditions is nearly zero. A sprained ankle could have led to his death.

and you have to tip your hat to him
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 10:52:27 PM »

A lot of folks have done unwise things, many of which could (and some did) lead to disaster. But, in many cases succeeded in their quests such as they were.

a) any of the 15th16th century mariners who explored any of the oceans
b) any of the explorers (or invaders/conquerors as seen through the lens of current perspectives) who explored the Americas
c) Lewis & Clark expedition
d) any of the pioneers and gold rush folks who undertook arduous journeys with scant knowledge, skills and provisions (and no one to tell them if Boot Spring had water, for example)
e) the pioneers of aviation
f) mountain men trekking alone across the American west
g) spaceflight (even today)

The point is the margin for error was not a factor in any of the above (save the space activities) when deciding to do something, even though today everyone believes it to be a critical factor.

Again, except for space, all of the above was undertaken with vastly imperfect knowledge, no support or rescue other than what they could provide for themselves, no phones, gps units and, in many of the above, without maps/navigation equipment of any kind (or only rudimentary navigation ability and seriously imperfect maps).

So again, through the lens of a technical/electronic/fully explored world, this guy did a risky thing. But did he really?

For those who want to be told and assured of everything ahead of time, and need trail guides, etc. for success, I guess he did.

But, I say no. After all, he was in the arms of the NPS, who knew who he was, what he was going to do and a permitted trip with known itinerary. Sure, he may have gotten hurt or worse and the NPS would eventually have jumped into action (whether in time or not), so he most certainly was not on his own (any more than HMoD on his recent epic river/land solo journey).

The danger in the desert (and especially in the summer) is real, but also real is the fact that the journey was a far cry from the dangers of the events listed above. In actuality, had he chosen to do this trip in a place not crushed with NPS overregulation, no one would even have known he was out there. THAT perhaps would have been a far more dangerous slog (certainly deemed so by many).

In order to grow in skills, knowledge or competence, you have to push boundaries. Those that cannot function without trail guides, facilities and (false) assurances of safety/success will never know their limits and never will discover anything on their own.

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 10:59:54 PM »
In order to grow in skills, knowledge or competence, you have to push boundaries. Those that cannot function without trail guides, facilities and (false) assurances of safety/success will never know their limits and never will discover anything on their own.

:great:

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2018, 08:49:18 AM »

30 lbs of water is more than this old man is carrying!

I guess I should say well done, but it's still hard for me to condone that plan. He was lucky it rained. That probably saved him a couple of liters of water. It easily could have turned out differently.

He definitely was lucky with the rain and despite his claiming he was well experienced with the conditions what I read says he was not but he was fortunate with the conditions that he did get.

Here in the deep, eastern South we say "Hold my Everclear and watch this"
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline NatureBoyFatAdam

• Roadrunner
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 08:56:42 AM »

A lot of folks have done unwise things, many of which could (and some did) lead to disaster. But, in many cases succeeded in their quests such as they were.

a) any of the 15th16th century mariners who explored any of the oceans
b) any of the explorers (or invaders/conquerors as seen through the lens of current perspectives) who explored the Americas
c) Lewis & Clark expedition
d) any of the pioneers and gold rush folks who undertook arduous journeys with scant knowledge, skills and provisions (and no one to tell them if Boot Spring had water, for example)
e) the pioneers of aviation
f) mountain men trekking alone across the American west
g) spaceflight (even today)

The point is the margin for error was not a factor in any of the above (save the space activities) when deciding to do something, even though today everyone believes it to be a critical factor.

Again, except for space, all of the above was undertaken with vastly imperfect knowledge, no support or rescue other than what they could provide for themselves, no phones, gps units and, in many of the above, without maps/navigation equipment of any kind (or only rudimentary navigation ability and seriously imperfect maps).

So again, through the lens of a technical/electronic/fully explored world, this guy did a risky thing. But did he really?

For those who want to be told and assured of everything ahead of time, and need trail guides, etc. for success, I guess he did.

But, I say no. After all, he was in the arms of the NPS, who knew who he was, what he was going to do and a permitted trip with known itinerary. Sure, he may have gotten hurt or worse and the NPS would eventually have jumped into action (whether in time or not), so he most certainly was not on his own (any more than HMoD on his recent epic river/land solo journey).

The danger in the desert (and especially in the summer) is real, but also real is the fact that the journey was a far cry from the dangers of the events listed above. In actuality, had he chosen to do this trip in a place not crushed with NPS overregulation, no one would even have known he was out there. THAT perhaps would have been a far more dangerous slog (certainly deemed so by many).

I see where he will rely on SAR if needed. Which means he's not real worried about putting anyone else in jeopardy when they come looking for his dumb ass. He's probably gonna reimburse the bill for everything related to SAR as well. Not! Maybe you will help pay the next time someone does something stupid like this and doesn't get so lucky. I doubt it.
He made it this time, but might not next time. I hope you're there to help this pompous jackass.

You're comparing explorers to some dummy hiking around BB in the middle of the summer.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline nuggetf5

• Golden Eagle
  • Coyote
  • Currently hiking around Lawrence, KS
    • Mandolin Cafe
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2018, 09:30:57 AM »
Just my opinion but he couldn't have posted a hike like that on a more appropriate site. Not a fan of what goes on there.
Mandolin Cafe
Since 1995

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!