Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

A JULY! OML trip report from Reddit

• 77 Replies

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
Re: A JULY! OML trip report from Reddit
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2019, 01:35:20 PM »
ME is correct on the ground insulation.  The rocky ground will not cool off over night.  A friend told me a "great" story about how they couldn't even lay down because it was so hot one time in the summer.  I too, have experienced it myself at a car campsite in the summer.
First Russian Collusion, then Mueller, then Obstruction, then illegal payment to Stormy Daniels, then tax returns. Now no formal vote on impeachment for a 30 min. phone call to Ukraine

No crime. No evidence, just more secret investigations

Drain the Swamp.  America will survive.  God Bless America

Offline congahead

• Roadrunner
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2019, 02:11:29 PM »
Good luck if you decide to go ahead with this. Based on my experience, your absolute best possible outcome is that you will be miserable the entire time. I know because I have been, and have bailed on both day hikes and multi-nighters in the Bend because I was having zero fun and doing nothing but surviving due to the intense heat, from which there is no possible respite along most of your route. And these trips were not in July. Hereís hoping your experience is different.
"The animals here will generally try to avoid you, but the plants will hurt you every chance they get."

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2019, 03:04:53 PM »
Sorry, I was looking at NEXT weekend (when I might run down there myself) where temps are looking better--62/84 or so.  Nighttime Dodson run could be in the offing.  Start at HW about 10pm, head across D; get to other side about 3-330; head up JC then fart around on the rim but not too long then the hot jaunt down BC, To car by noonish.

Offline Lissa

• Coyote
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2019, 03:10:28 PM »
A suggestion for hiking this at this time frame and assuming cars can make it to Juniper would be a CW route starting at Juniper.  Would start out at dusk / whenever it was manageable, throw down for a few hrs along Dodson, then get to HWR well before noon. Pick up cached water (and book!) at HWR and chill in shade 12-6 if not longer.  Can bail there easily if miserable, if not continue up the wash that evening when it cools and night hike up to the Rim. Spent a couple nights in the Chisos.

But basically act like a desert animal and hike when itís cool(er), siesta when itís not.

Get good headlamps though since it will probably be close to a new moon.

Offline Lissa

• Coyote
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2019, 03:12:42 PM »
If it matters to you to have the ďofficialĒ full OML, can always do a trip down to the Basin as a packless sidr trip to get water, cold drinks and a meal.

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2019, 03:19:39 PM »
A suggestion for hiking this at this time frame and assuming cars can make it to Juniper would be a CW route starting at Juniper.  Would start out at dusk / whenever it was manageable, throw down for a few hrs along Dodson, then get to HWR well before noon. Pick up cached water (and book!) at HWR and chill in shade 12-6 if not longer.  Can bail there easily if miserable, if not continue up the wash that evening when it cools and night hike up to the Rim. Spent a couple nights in the Chisos.

But basically act like a desert animal and hike when itís cool(er), siesta when itís not.

Get good headlamps though since it will probably be close to a new moon.

Also a great option.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2019, 03:23:19 PM »
The Basin parts of the OML suck, LM and P.  Worst parts, easily.  You cover almost as much mileage going around the full rim and it's much more scenic.

Caching a car at JC is tough because if you need a ride back to it, good luck finding someone willing to take you there.  Getting a ride to HW or Basin much more feasible.

Having done OML every conceivable way, I've found my favorite is starting at night from HW across Dodson, up JC across Rim (or, if tired or slow, across Colima) and down BC to car.

Second favorite is start HW in early morning and head up BC while it's still shaded, around the Rim, down JC when it's mostly shaded, and then across Dodson at night to car.

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2019, 03:31:47 PM »
Steelfroggy, you definitely gotten the wheels going in Flash's head over a possible evening/sunset hike out to the first Dodson saddle and than back to the car at HW by headlamp.  :eusa_think:

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2019, 03:40:50 PM »
Sure, it would be great; that's about what, 2.5 miles and 800' vert?  Honestly, especially for animals, not the best part of the Dod; there are plentiful snakes in about the eastern 3 miles.

Dodson is so cool at night.  So peaceful but lots going on out there, great night sky.  A bit of an edge when you are alone as there are things out there that could harm you potentially.  Although that's more in your mind than reality.

Offline jtemples

• Roadrunner
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2019, 08:56:33 PM »
Read and heed.   

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2019, 07:11:08 PM »
Steelfroggy, you definitely gotten the wheels going in Flash's head over a possible evening/sunset hike out to the first Dodson saddle and than back to the car at HW by headlamp.  :eusa_think:
Flash. one of my most memorable hikes in BBNP. It was a winter trip, I did something easy in the AM/early PM, in the late afternoon I went to the saddle on the Dodson.  Truly the place to be is the top of the little hill at the saddle on right hand side as you go up, it opens up the view to a surprising degree.
I was there a little too early, about an hour, it's such a great spot I did not mind. The whole landscape turned a golden green close to sunset and only got better as time went on. I watched the sunset and several backpackers go by. Well into the sunset I slowly started to descend into the sunset lit surroundings. I was in the sunset, the rocks glowed and the sotols glistened. I can still see it as I type this. Truly a unique experience

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
  • The road goes on forever & the party never ends...
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2019, 12:16:33 AM »
Doing the OML in July is not smart. Best case scenario, you complete it and are absolutely miserable the whole time. You are very likely to die.  I can almost guarantee that you will bail at Homer Wilson and have to hitch back to the basin. Working in the heat in San Antonio is nothing like backpacking at Big Bend.

Iíve done the OML a dozen times. Itís my favorite hike in the world. My advice is to find another hike to do. Itís not worth risking your life this time of year. Donít try it. 

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2019, 11:10:03 AM »
Flash. one of my most memorable hikes in BBNP. It was a winter trip, I did something easy in the AM/early PM, in the late afternoon I went to the saddle on the Dodson.  Truly the place to be is the top of the little hill at the saddle on right hand side as you go up, it opens up the view to a surprising degree.
I was there a little too early, about an hour, it's such a great spot I did not mind. The whole landscape turned a golden green close to sunset and only got better as time went on. I watched the sunset and several backpackers go by. Well into the sunset I slowly started to descend into the sunset lit surroundings. I was in the sunset, the rocks glowed and the sotols glistened. I can still see it as I type this. Truly a unique experience
Sounds like a very pleasant experience, Jim2, might have to bring a chair!  :great:

Offline webnotions

• webnotions
  • Kangaroo Rat
  • Taxation is Theft
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2019, 11:30:03 PM »
We ended up NOT doing it, mostly because it was too dang cold at night and we didn't start as originally planned.

We went ahead and took the Ranger's suggestion and planned to take Pinnacles to BC1 and camp there the first 2 nights, Dodson night 3, Juniper night 4.
Cached water at HWR late Sunday night: the stars and Milky Way were amazing. There were a couple dozen gallons of water left there from previous treks, dating back to April. Camped at the Chisos Basin campground.

Since there was no guarantee of water at Boot Spring we took more water than we needed to on Day 1: not only did that tire us out going up Pinnacles [i love that trail] but the temps dropping to low 60s at night were miserable w/ no sleeping bag [ditched those on advice]. Dumped most of our water weight after meeting a hiker who was by Boot Spring a few hours earlier and confirmed the flow. That helped a lot, but the night was too cold to rest comfortably. Froze our @$$ off. Dogtired from no real sleep the next day. Decided to skip the Rim dayhike we had planned.

Filled up on water at Boot Spring late the next morning after we thawed out. Did a dayhike to Emory Peak after Day 2 lunch which was great. Chickened out on the last bit of scramble to the top and settled for nude pics at the V. (Just kidding. Maybe.)
Temps dropped to low 60s again that night and that's when we decided to head back to the lodge the next day. Two nights of crazy cold sleeping sucks. Shoulda just worked our original plan and dropped down to the desert sooner.  I detest cold weather.

We did see a very thin bear up close [20-25 feet] on the Colima Trail on Day 3 which was super cool -- he just stood there sideways on the trail watching us rest, posing for a pic, while we stared and finally pulled out the camera. He moseyed along parallel to the trail the same direction we were headed [to LM] and was chill the whole time [about 15 minutes or so]. Got some video of that.  Missed the best initial pose since we were gawking.
LM Wednesday afternoon was a nice and easy hike back after little sleep.

Crashed in a room with blankets at the lodge last night, then met the Ranger at the Chihuahuan Desert Trail for his 9:30a presentation. Had a neat chat wandering around out there and then headed to Rio Grande village to check it out.

Drove out to the Boquillas overlook and watched a Mexican guy wade across the river and say hi. Drove over to the Boquillas Trail and did that one in the early afternoon, then stopped by the Hot Springs Trail on the way back to the visitor center.  Hot Springs: muddy [ick] but nice n hot [yay].
After the Visitor Center we drove back to HWR and hiked around that area a bit, retrieved our water, poured it all over ourselves, walked a bit more till we were dry, and headed outta the park. Thought about camping on Dodson anyway since we had the permit for it, but had already booked a room in Alpine [when we had wifi at the visitor center] heading up to Ft Stockton and McDonald Observatory.

There's no way I'd wanna camp at night when it's colder than it was this week w/o a sleeping bag. I'd much prefer to try our original plan. Maybe next year. Will save the detailed advice. :)

We used the NG map and the REI hiking project app, which was pretty dang accurate and helpful and easy to use even if there are still a few bugs in the app. We took about 1500 pics inside the park on the trails [not exaggerating]. The thing I liked the most about hiking in July was the LACK of people on the trails-- great for lots of pics that will never see the public domain. Will be investing in a solar charger for phones and satellite messenger for more than 3 days on the trail -- taking batteries is just dead weight. Will go check reviews on that next. A Big Bend insect/ animal/ birding ID app might be neat to have also.

Thanks for the conversation, folks.
"She is wedded to convictions in default of grosser ties"

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2019, 05:54:38 AM »
Thanks for checking back in with a report, especially the water report from Boot Canyon.   :great:

What were the day time temperatures at PJ?
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!