Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Another OML question

• 18 Replies

Offline Drifter

• Coyote
Re: Another OML question
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 02:09:24 PM »
that was the route I took first time down Smokey and boy was it fun.  The problem I had solo was I kept thinking that as I was going down the pour offs there were some that I could never get back up solo and if I came to one I couldn't get down after one I couldn't get back up I had a problem.  I was sure glad when the drainage opened up there at the intersection of where the established trail turns south and I could breathe again.  Did you use a shuttle or did you have enough vehicles? 
If you climb mountains, no explanation is necessary, if you don't , no explanation is possible.

Offline Horns 98

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 12:14:38 PM »
Just wanted to thank everyone again for the info it helped out a lot.  We had a great trip, a little rough out there, but well worth it.

For those headed out there in the next few days there is water flowing at Fresno. Upper Juniper had some moving water, but not much.

Offline TheWildWestGuy

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 01:34:07 PM »
How about posting a trip report and/or photo's?
Weather, Trail conditions, campsite's you stayed at, wildlife, see any other hikers? etc..

Ray52

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2007, 07:45:37 PM »
Hopefully I can update this information after next weekend.  I'm headed to BIBE in the morning.  After an early stop at REI in Houston I'm going to drive as far west as I can safely (maybe Panther Junction??!!).  Sunday I'll finish the drive, get my permits, and cache my water & food.  I plan to be on the trail at first light on Monday.  

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!