Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Big Bend December 13-18 Trip Itinerary

• 2 Replies

Offline ncthom

• Kangaroo Rat
Big Bend December 13-18 Trip Itinerary
« on: June 14, 2019, 10:35:34 AM »
Hey Y'all,
Just wrote up My BiBe Dec. 13-18 2019 trip itinerary including an OML trip.

12/13: Leave Houston at 4:30 am, arrive at BiBe with enough time to secure permits, and cache water at HWR. Camp in the basin for the night.
12/14: Basin->Juniper CO3 camping zone
12/15: Juniper-> HWR CO5 zone
12/16: HWR-> South Rim campsite SW3/4 or SE3
12/17: South Rim Camp to Emory Peak to Basin, planning on camping in RGV after visit to hot springs
12/18: Sightseeing and day hikes; Camp at Cottonwood
Does all this look good? It's my second time in the park and just trying to make sure I won't run into any issues with permits and campgrounds and such.   :icon_biggrin:

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
Re: Big Bend December 13-18 Trip Itinerary
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 11:13:52 AM »
Looks good; a couple things to consider:

If you start at sunup on 12/14, you'll be at Juniper camp zone by noon or so; may as well keep ambling on for another 5 hours or so and make your way to a good Dodson camp spot, like up where you can see ET or something, on top of a nice ridge along Dodson.  If you give yourself an extra day, you can do something else awesome like dayhike Marufo Vega, which is a good time of year for that.

As far as permits, the only one you may have a prob with is possibly SW3/4 SE3.  Just be flexible, you can almost always get a Colima spot, which is a short hike to the Rim.

Offline Lissa

• Coyote
Re: Big Bend December 13-18 Trip Itinerary
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 07:53:34 AM »
For backup if you run late/have travel issues, it is easy enough to cache water at HW  late then just pickup permits first thing in the morning.  We did OML in Nov and the nights are long that time of year.  I donít always pack a book, but would have some kind of reading / entertainment material. I had assumed we would just star gaze, but weather had moved in so we were in a cloud and kind of tent bound. 

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!