Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Do you realistically expect permits to be an issue in Mid-March (March 11-14)

• 4 Replies

Offline bitter_melon

• Jack Rabbit
I understand that this is the "spring break rush" but this is also the only time in which I could get myself and my four friends to Texas at the same time. Do you think that it would be a problem if we showed up at the rangers station at 8am in order to get permits? Do you think they would already have run out at open, or would only run out later in the day? My plan is to do a traditional OML + the south rim if we can get a campsite permit, but I understand that that might be an issue.

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Short answer is yes.  But I will go out on a limb and say this could be an off year.  Spring break can fluctuate, last March was huge with 75K visitors, 2016 had 35 K, 2015 65K, 2014 53K.  So I would not write it off, just come with plans B & C in hand.

Welcome to the board!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline bitter_melon

• Jack Rabbit
Another question then, my group's plan is to do 3 nights/4 days in Big Bend and 2 nights/1 day in Guadalupe Mountains NP. I don't have a preference as to which we do first, I would just hate to drive all the way from Midland only to find out that OML is closed (but I will be crafting a BBNP Plan B, don't worry). Do you think that if I call ahead on that Saturday while the ranger station is still open, that they would let me know if we'd be able to get permits if we were first in line? If not, we can go to GMNP first.

Offline Jalco

• Black Bear
Is your heart set on BBNP?  Don't forget BBRSP "next door".  Not nearly as crowded and some pretty decent hikes.

Offline bitter_melon

• Jack Rabbit
My heart is pretty darn set on BBNP and specifically the OML, but I will come up with Plan B both within and outside of the park. I'm coming from across the country so I want to get my $ worth, no idea when I'll be able  to come back again.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!