Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Hiking the Outer Mountain Loop on WEDNESDAY!

• 20 Replies

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • I'd rather be on the South Rim
Re: Hiking the Outer Mountain Loop on WEDNESDAY!
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 03:14:50 PM »
Custom-made for the OML, printable onto 8.5x11 paper:

Map 1 (Basin/High Chisos)
Map 2 (Juniper Cyn/Eastern Dodson)
Map 3 (Dodson)
Map 4 (Western Dodson/Blue Creek)

They're in UTM, NAD 27, 1:24K just like the USGS quads, only smaller and lighter.
Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

"We'll be back, someday soon. We will return, someday, and when we do the gritty
splendor and the complicated grandeur of Big Bend will still be here. Waiting for us."--Ed Abbey

Offline sstrong42

• Roadrunner
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2007, 04:00:12 PM »

Map 3 (Dodson)

They're in UTM, NAD 27, 1:24K just like the USGS quads, only smaller and lighter.

Fantastic!  Thank you so much Jeff!  Just took advantage of the color laser up here at the office and printed those bad boys out.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 04:33:31 PM »

Map 3 (Dodson)

Fantastic!  Thank you so much Jeff!  Just took advantage of the color laser up here at the office and printed those bad boys out.
You might consider laminating those pages, or at least test to see how water-resistant the printouts are.  It'd suck to have them get too smudged to read while out on the trail.  Or just slip 'em in a gallon size Ziploc bag and be careful with them.

Offline sstrong42

• Roadrunner
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 05:09:10 PM »

Map 3 (Dodson)

You might consider laminating those pages, or at least test to see how water-resistant the printouts are.  It'd suck to have them get too smudged to read while out on the trail.  Or just slip 'em in a gallon size Ziploc bag and be careful with them.

It's laser, so I don't think it will run.  But I planned on putting them in a ziplock bag just in case.  I have a feeling that the natural water in the air could damage the paper otherwise.  Where can I get laminating done cheap?

Offline randell

• Coyote
  • Mountain Lion
  • Purveyor of Fine Hats
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 05:20:47 PM »
You could get some map cases:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=10284&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

Or better yet seal them yourself:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=46066&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

Or I think Kinkos does lamination.  I know Lakeshore Learning allows you to laminate stuff cheap.  It's a kids store and teachers go in there to laminate stuff.  Of course, Lakeshore Learning stores more difficult to find than Kinkos.

Dallas Location of Lakeshore Learning:
13846 N. Dallas Parkway
Dallas, TX 75240

972-934-8866

Monday-Friday: 9:00-8:00
Saturday: 9:00-7:00
Sunday: 11:00-6:00
There's nothing like a good quest to get you intimate with a place. - Tom Clynes

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2007, 07:38:31 PM »
Most department and office supply stores will sell press & stick laminating pages or even in rolls.  My wife uses it all the time.  Quality isn't that great, but should be good for a hike or two.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!