Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

OML Attempt Dec. 26-29th

• 32 Replies

Offline devin

• Kangaroo Rat
Re: OML Attempt Dec. 26-29th
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2019, 01:29:57 PM »
@MedMoneyCat, would you care to share why you chose BBRSP instead? Did a ranger stop you when you got there? Did you have second thoughts on the drive out there and decided not to risk it? Obviously BBRSP is a great park, between your review and what good things others have said, so I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm just curious because I'm planning an OML trip myself and hoping the shutdown will be over by the time I get there.

Offline MedMoneyCat

• Kangaroo Rat
Re: OML Attempt Dec. 26-29th
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2019, 11:20:58 PM »
Responding to @Devin:

@MedMoneyCat, would you care to share why you chose BBRSP instead?

To put it simple, BBRSP is not affected by shutdown, posed no worry from a legal or financial risk perspective, is considered a gorgeous park, was proximal, and had backcountry trail and permits for camping readily available.

On the day we arrived in the NP, we read reports of tickets being issued for backcountry camping/semi chaos on reddit and on this forum.  This directly influenced our decision making as we arrived to the NP. Mind you, we arrived on afternoon all the camp sites in the NP were shuttered. When we arrived RVs, trailers, and cars were streaming out of the park and the gut said to go another way. No funny hats seen in NP. Without a permit, backcountry camping and the noted fed citation risk became no longer palatable for either of us.

Luckily, we  had called an audible to Camp Topanga earlier in the afternoon and got SUPER lucky to get a camp site for that one evening. This is a A+ spot to camp in Terlingua. The Foli's are superb people and they run an honest site. Great location, great cost, great amenities, and clean.  Only issue was they could host us that one evening but no mas guaranteed. Site Availability at CT, on Airbnb, or local lodging deterred us from day tripping into NP to do rim. So we called BBSRP the following morning. They had limited sites for primitive camping and were issuing permits for Backcountry camping. 

We drove west for OML and for backcountry experience. We had the mental, physical, and equipment stuff squared away for 23+ mile trek in the backcountry. So without much knowledge on BBSRP, we headed to the ranger station and inquired. We found that most sites were taken and backcountry permits were available. The ranger (who was a superb lady) suggested Rancherias but cautioned us that it was tough and barren. She mentioned two water spots (Casa Reza and Rancherias Springs). We obliged with a bit of hesitation. I had done my HW for OML but not this trip. It didn't help that the GF read off some lame article claiming it was the hardest thing ever. But we went anyway. It was badass. I would do it again.

Just got back to med school. Will write a TR soon/photo fest.

I'm just curious because I'm planning an OML trip myself and hoping the shutdown will be over by the time I get there.

I hope that the shitdown gets resolved. If it's up in the air, i'd do Rancherias FWIW.

Offline MedMoneyCat

• Kangaroo Rat

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!