Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

May 11 OML or Dodson out and back

• 21 Replies

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
Re: May 11 OML or Dodson out and back
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2019, 10:39:38 AM »

Honestly, while BC was a sometimes soul-sucking grind, after that it didnít seem like a brisk pace. I mean, 27-28 miles in 13:45 isnít all that fast really.  Just canít have a lot of big rest stops. If you went Colima instead of Rim you could cut off another hour. But Rim is best views. Except Friday, no rim views...

28 miles in 13.75 hours. When you put it that way - especially carrying a minimal day pack with very little water - it doesnít sound so bad. Squeezed in between two work days, though - yikes. Youíre a better man than me.

Agreed about Blue Creek: Iím not sure that climb would even be pleasant if I was carried up it in a sedan chair. But at least you hit it early in the morning when the sunrise was hidden on the other side of the Chisos. Where was the sun when you started down Juniper?

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2019, 12:19:31 PM »
There was no sun until about 4 miles into Dodson. Sun stayed in til like 3:45pm. Clouds/fog and drizzle at times

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2019, 12:49:15 PM »
Heck of a hike. I see what you mean about the weather: darn near perfect for a hike like that.

Iím really intrigued by your one-day OMLís. I keep asking myself if I could pull it off at my age, but I find myself waffling: yes, no, maybe, I dunno. I think the bottom line is, yeah, I could probably pull it off, but at what cost? My knees would probably take a hit.

How much did your daypack weigh (minus the intended three sandwiches, of course )? What was your water budget and how much of it did you carry and how much did you drink opportunistically from natural sources or pick up from the NPS boxes at the Juniper/Dodson intersection or HW? Did you bring a filter or pills or confine yourself just to tap/bottled water?

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2019, 01:06:08 PM »
My pack prolly weighs under 10 pounds.

I carry a UD Fastpack 20; with 3 litres.  Some emergency medical stuff and sunscreen, some Tailwind, a bag of peanut M&Ms.  A MSR Trailshot water filter; an OR Helium 2 waterproof jacket.  A long sleeve hooded technical shirt.  Light gloves, light knit hat and a buff.  Headlamp and extra batteries.  TP.  On my body I have shorts t-shirt ballcap.

I use Kompardell light trekking poles but this last time I used them minimally, which I think increased my speed.  Used them on the steep part of BC and a few of the bigger ascents of Dodson; used just one for steeper descents

I have always refilled at Dodson/Juniper, and there's always been plenty of water there.  If not there's a 2 mile hump to Upper Juniper springs.

Also, I carry my phone and earbuds, and listened to the complete podcasts of Dr. Death and Bear Brook, both fascinating.

I've grown to like these light fastpacks; the OML is a good training hike, as is Marufo Vega.  Light fastpacking opens up possibilities such as the Enchantments in Washington, which can pretty easily be done as a dayhike.  Easier than OML.  And near impossible to get a permit.

I'm 52 and fat (225).  And slow.  Anybody can do this.

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
May 11 OML or Dodson out and back
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2019, 01:26:54 PM »
My pack prolly weighs under 10 pounds.

I carry a UD Fastpack 20; with 3 litres.  Some emergency medical stuff and sunscreen, some Tailwind, a bag of peanut M&Ms.  A MSR Trailshot water filter; an OR Helium 2 waterproof jacket.  A long sleeve hooded technical shirt.  Light gloves, light knit hat and a buff.  Headlamp and extra batteries.  TP.  On my body I have shorts t-shirt ballcap.

Thatís a good set.  Though I think Iíd prefer pants.

I use Kompardell light trekking poles but this last time I used them minimally, which I think increased my speed.  Used them on the steep part of BC and a few of the bigger ascents of Dodson; used just one for steeper descents

Interesting. I wound up stowing my trekking poles during most of the last two days of my recent four-day hike to The Chimneys and several nearby springs. I was surprised at how much easier and faster my hiking became. Still good for steep slopes though.

I'm 52 and fat (225).  And slow.  Anybody can do this.

Haha! Good point. I still think youíre a tougher hiker than me. Maybe itís all between the ears.

Offline Lissa

• Coyote
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2019, 12:48:12 PM »
Sounds amazing and is now absolutely going in the goals list.

Whats your thinking on directions? Would you ever go the reverse direction and do dodson in the AM and head up JC?

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2019, 05:41:47 PM »
I have mostly done it that way. Well, 3 times anyway.  Depends on weather etc. Whatís tough about that way is that you have to go up the 3000í+ vert of JC trail after doing the Dodson.  What I liked about this most recent way is you hit BC big up (2800í) while you are fresh and no significant sustained ups after that.

Iíve done it 3 times from the Basin and can unequivocally state that the LM and Pinnacles were the worst parts of those. Cutting the Basin out is mandatory for me going forward.  All the people are on LM and Pinnacles, the trails arenít all that scenic, and it adds 1000í+ vert.  Much better to add the Rim which only costs about 4-500í vert.

Dodson in am totally weather dependent.

My favorite segments of the hike ranked:

1.  South Rim
2.  Dodson
3.  Blue Creek
4.  Boot Canyon
5.  Juniper Canyon
6.  Pinnacles
7.  Laguna Meadows
8.  Colima

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!