Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Modified OML Oct 27 - Nov 30

• 18 Replies

Offline bkrier

• Roadrunner
Re: Modified OML Oct 27 - Nov 30
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2019, 02:50:43 PM »
Enjoying report. I only solo hiked once- nothing like exhaustion as a sleep aid

Offline bkrier

• Roadrunner
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2019, 07:08:22 PM »
I'd like to share how I keep track of where I am and how far I have to go but more importantly from getting lost and discouraged on the trail- like to hear how others do this. It really discouraged me thinking I had only one more ridge to climb only find out there was another and then another and so on. I have an Apple Watch now with an altimeter, but any altimeter will work. I then can tell where I am on a contour map pretty accurately especially on trails like the OML or the Art Loeb where there is a lot of elevation change. I also use a program called GAIA GPS on my iPhone that will show my location but honestly, it is cumbersome to pull out the phone, turn it on, unlock it and open the app. I only use the iPhone when at a rest stop. I want to say that I really admire anyone using a map and compass only.

Offline roadtrip

• Coyote
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2019, 12:11:24 PM »
Super trip; super report; super pictures.  Thanks.

That first time feeling is special, but so are the feelings of succeeding trips. 

For me, the OML is like a really well made movie (Dr. Zhivago comes to mind) with aspects that do not become clear to you until you see it again and again.
Thanks DPrather! I've always enjoyed your posts.
I agree on the similarity to re watching movies, and it's also like re-reading books.
One of my quandries when I'm wanting to do a trip is : "Do I something new or do I redo a favorite trip I've done before?"

Offline roadtrip

• Coyote
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2019, 12:18:01 PM »
I'd like to share how I keep track of where I am and how far I have to go but more importantly from getting lost and discouraged on the trail- like to hear how others do this. It really discouraged me thinking I had only one more ridge to climb only find out there was another and then another and so on. I have an Apple Watch now with an altimeter, but any altimeter will work. I then can tell where I am on a contour map pretty accurately especially on trails like the OML or the Art Loeb where there is a lot of elevation change. I also use a program called GAIA GPS on my iPhone that will show my location but honestly, it is cumbersome to pull out the phone, turn it on, unlock it and open the app. I only use the iPhone when at a rest stop. I want to say that I really admire anyone using a map and compass only.
So true - it was discouraging to hit the zone camping sign on Blue Creek trail after 5 or 6 hours of hiking, seems like I should have been much further! I knew then I'd be camping in the dark.
I was looking at Suunto watches before the trip. I think I'll put that on my Christmas list, thanks for the tip.
I downloaded the Gaia app  to my phone a few weeks before the trip but could never figure out how to use it. I'm somewhat software challenged.
I hope to finish my report this weekend. Been slammed at work since I came back except for 3 days last week that I spent camping. It was nice to put the gear to work again and be out under the stars.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!