Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

first time backpacking OML.....successfully?

• 6 Replies

Offline fsong1994

• Kangaroo Rat
first time backpacking OML.....successfully?
« on: October 31, 2019, 10:47:31 PM »
Hello, I will be backpacking the OML solo..... did a trip earlier in May with a buddy but we backed out at south rim due to of course...water. I have backpacked before and been to big bend many times in the past tho never backpacked there.

My current Iternary : Day 1 chisos to juniper Day 2:Juniper to Homer Ranch/Blue creek Day 3 from Blue creek up to South/North rim area Day 4 head back down. Attached is pic of my route but im definitely open to all recommendations  :icon_biggrin:   I plan on caching water at Homer ranch but definetly wont be able to get to juniper since Ill be driving a camaro. I will be carrying a 3L of water with me. I was hoping to get some answers to couple questions I had

1. Will there be any difficulty finding a water source around juniper canyon? I understand there's probably emergency water at the Juniper trailhead but rather find myself needing it.
2. Regarding water at Blue creek area..... before making the ascent back up to chisos, where there be present along blue creek  close to chisos?  ( would appreciate it if someone can circle approximate location for both on attached screenshot :dance:)
3. How hard would it be to get a primitive site close to the rims? I recall regular campsites being a pain to reserve this time of the year...
4. How remote is it this time of the year at the dodson/juniper area?
5. Are the dodson/blue creek trails well marked?

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
Re: first time backpacking OML.....successfully?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 11:05:14 PM »
1. Will there be any difficulty finding a water source around juniper canyon? I understand there's probably emergency water at the Juniper trailhead but rather find myself needing it.
2. Regarding water at Blue creek area..... before making the ascent back up to chisos, where there be present along blue creek  close to chisos?  ( would appreciate it if someone can circle approximate location for both on attached screenshot )
3. How hard would it be to get a primitive site close to the rims? I recall regular campsites being a pain to reserve this time of the year...
4. How remote is it this time of the year at the dodson/juniper area?
5. Are the dodson/blue creek trails well marked?
==========
1.  Take an inexpensive Sawyer water purification system.  You will most likely find water at the Boot Canyon pipe, at Juniper Spring, and at Fresno Creek.  This water must be treated.  Note: many also take purification pills/tablets as back up. 

2.  Cache water at the Homer Wilson bear box.  This will take you up Blue Creek and back over to the Boot Canyon pipe. 

I'd take four liters of water.  Three should do you between water pick ups, but...

3.  You should have no trouble getting nice High Chisos sites. 

4.  Backpacking is picking up this time of year along the OML - but you still might go 24 hours between seeing people.  The beauty of the Dodson is the desolation and aloneness.

5.  The OML is very burned in with many years of use and is well marked with many carins.  This is not to say that you can't get off trail if you do not pay attention.  MEMORIZE the map before you go.  If you have not backpacked the kind of trails the Bend has to offer, then the washes,  the natural lines of outcroppings, and the game trails can be deceiving.  The OML circles very obvious landmarks/landforms - if you get yourself well oriented, you'll be fine.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 08:26:06 AM »
People have a real hard time finding Upper Juniper spring.  I base this on reports of newbies who say it was dry when they went by.    Never been dry the 8+ times I have been by it.

I would not count on emergency water in the Juniper/Dodson bear box.  The group in front of you may have taken it all. 

Blue creek does not have any water, only what you stash in the bear boxes.

People get turned around on the Dodson all the time.  Take the National Geo map of the entire park, AND the Emory Peak Quad. 

I personally drink about two liters every morning just with breakfast when I'm on the trail out there.  My guess is you'll need more than 3 liters.  Ask yourself, "Why do 2/3 of the people who attempt the OML quit at Homer Wilson?"
If other countries on the planet want to see America suffer and ultimately destroyed, who are they cheering for right now?  Trump, or the leftist democrats and their media supported hate machine?

Seek out the facts for yourself.  Begin by using Startpage.com,  not google.

May God Bless America!

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 09:54:25 AM »
All good suggestions from dprather and el hombre.
Read the OML FAQ found at the top of the OML board thoroughly and several times if you haven't already.
Your itinerary is a good one if you want to start in the Basin.  Your longest dry stretch will be from your water cache at HW back to the Basin unless you drop into Boot canyon after you climb up Blue Creek canyon which you can do by either crossing over on the Colima trail and getting water at the pipe at Boot spring or from the pools further up canyon and then walking on up to the Rim, or get to your camp on the South Rim and then day hike down Boot canyon to get to water and back. 

You must have some kind of water purification for any of the back country water sources.

For me I figure 5 liters a day (total consumption including cooking) 4 if it is cool.  Assuming you camp above HW after getting your cache I would need about 8 liters to get back to the Basin without getting water in Boot canyon and camping on the rim.

You didn't say when you are planning on doing it

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Big Bend Chat mobile app
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 10:01:17 AM by mule ears »
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline bkrier

• Roadrunner
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 03:43:42 PM »
Are there some general guidelines as to which months Boot spring, Upper Juniper spring and Fresno Creek have and do not have water?

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 04:22:28 PM »
Never seen upper juniper or Fresno dry.  Boot Springs runs only after it has rained.  Depends on how much rain fell till it dries up again.  Been by Boot Springs plenty of times and seen it dry.
If other countries on the planet want to see America suffer and ultimately destroyed, who are they cheering for right now?  Trump, or the leftist democrats and their media supported hate machine?

Seek out the facts for yourself.  Begin by using Startpage.com,  not google.

May God Bless America!

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 08:54:08 PM »
Never seen upper juniper or Fresno dry.  Boot Springs runs only after it has rained.  Depends on how much rain fell till it dries up again.  Been by Boot Springs plenty of times and seen it dry.
To add to that, I have never seen the pools in Boot canyon dry, between the Juniper canyon and NE Rim trail junctions, even in pretty dty years.  Just saying that just because nothing is coming out of the pipe doesn't mean there isn't water to be had in Boot canyon.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!