Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Planned Solo OML - CCW beginning at HW - Three-Liter Challenge - Thanks Lance!

• 5 Replies

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
...and then Lance said (or was it Flash) something to the effect that I should make new plans, regroup and go. 

Needing to spit out the bad taste and get a Bend fix before the weather gets too hot, I'm leaving from East Texas on Sunday (2/24/19) to do a 4 day/3 night solo OML (Lord willing). 

Background: returning to backpacking some 15 years ago from a 30 year life-imposed absence, my first trip back was a horribly hot East Texas Memorial Day TBL with too much pack and way too little water - that scared me a bit.  Soon, after hearing the call of the Bend and reading about one gallon of water per day per person, to overcompensate for my hydration fears, I began humping tons of water across the OML, MV, MdA , and assorted other trails before I discovered the epiphany of found water.  On more occasions than I care to remember, I hauled 1 & 1/2 gallons+.  Now, I thrive on springs and creeks, tiny tinejas, and lighter packs. 
---------
Here's my "please Lord/Lord willing" itinerary (this was determined by the increasing heat during the coming week and the need to do the Dodosn on the earlier/cooler days of the coming week):

Sunday (3/24): blast out of Buna after PM services; drive through the night so that I can enjoy the earliest possible breakfast at Chik-Fil-A in Del Rio the next morning.  Visit the Del Rio Wal Mart for last-minute supplies.

Monday: grab an early sandwich at French Grocer in Marathon; permit at PJ; cache a little water at the Dodson/Juniper Canyon box; scram over to HW and hit the trail going east trying not to let the rush of the trip blow my mind.  I hope to get closer to Fresno Creek and farther from Smoky Creek.

Tuesday: continue east on the Dodson and get as far up Juniper Canyon as possible.  Visiting the old Dodson place has become a ritual duty for me. 

Wednesday: hump up Juniper to Colima #1; stash my pack in one of the boxes and then take in the Rim. 

Thursday: down hill (almost) all the way back to HW. 

On Friday, return through San Antonio at a time that will allow me to eat at Ray's Drive In (I'm certain that Austin has Mexican food places that are at least as good).
----------
Had it not been for the rapidly warming weather this would be a two-liter challenge.  As warm as it will be, and going solo, my plan is to not take a step with more than three liters in my pack (most steps will be with two liters). 

I'm counting on Fresno water for sure, Juniper water, and Boot water for sure.

I'll cold camp to save the weight of my new Esbit stove (I have two now - strategically located in separate plastic tubs).  I'll test a new sleeping bag and a new pack.  I still can't bear packing my light-weight camp chair.  Being the pansy that I am, I still can't go without a tent.

This will be my first CCW OML but not my first solo OML.  I considered some of the more exotic off-trail and semi-off-trail routes, but I'd prefer not to do any of them solo.  This will be a casual and relaxed trip.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 06:29:05 PM by dprather »
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Online Flash

• Mountain Lion
Great plan!  :great: My only tweak would be to save the time and stress of a trip to the Juniper Canyon TH, but that would require you to get your 3-liter top off back at Dodson or Adler or...  :eusa_think:

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
Great plan!  :great: My only tweak would be to save the time and stress of a trip to the Juniper Canyon TH, but that would require you to get your 3-liter top off back at Dodson or Adler or...  :eusa_think:

where is Adler?
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Online Flash

• Mountain Lion

where is Adler?

See the attached

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Great determination!  My only caution is the later you hit the trail from HW the climb up that first big hill is a hot one in the afternoon.  Best of luck!
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Online House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
Good luck, Don! I sent some good thoughts to the Dodson place; they’re waiting there for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!