Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

OML Clockwise from Juniper Canyon, 2/21-2/24

• 34 Replies

Online House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
Re: OML Clockwise from Juniper Canyon, 2/21-2/24
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2020, 08:26:31 PM »
We are planning on carrying 7-8 liters of water total (I’ll have 5 or 6 and my wife 2 or 3). Does this sound like overkill since some water is available at springs along the way?  My pack is getting heavier than I wanted. It’s 35 pounds and I was shooting for 30.

You probably won't need to pack that much water.  Usually there's more to be had in Boot Canyon, and then a short time later at Upper Juniper Spring.  If that holds true during your visit, then 2 liters each (and conceivably as little as one) should be enough to get you to the pools in Boot Canyon. I assume you're planning on re-filling from the Fresno Creek drainage along the Dodson Trail, before your reach your cache at Homer Wilson. Again, if Boot Canyon has water either at the spring's outflow pipe or in the bedrock pools, each hiker won't need to hump more than a couple liters up from Homer Wilson to the Laguna Meadow trail junction....as long as your schedule permits a detour back to Boot Canyon.  To my way of thinking, the diversion is worth the extra time it takes because it makes the hike up Blue Creek Canyon so much lighter.  In any case, very important to keep checking here on BBC for timely water reports closer to your departure date.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2020, 08:28:11 PM »
Hahaha!  Mule Ears beat me to it. And his answer is more detailed!!!!  But you get the picture......

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2020, 09:00:35 PM »
... if Boot Canyon has water either at the spring's outflow pipe or in the bedrock pools, each hiker won't need to hump more than a couple liters up from Homer Wilson to the Laguna Meadow trail junction....as long as your schedule permits a detour back to Boot Canyon.  To my way of thinking, the diversion is worth the extra time it takes because it makes the hike up Blue Creek Canyon so much lighter. 

This is what I would do.  Cut across on the Colima trail, get water, walk the beautiful walk up Boot canyon to the rim and SR3 then amble back down the rim to Laguna Meadows onto the Basin in the morning.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Dmatt9

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2020, 09:27:14 PM »
Mule Ears - Great advice on the water. It’s more strategic and critical  than any other hike I’ve attempted. We will definitely make use of all springs even if it slows us down. We aren’t in a race here.  😎

Offline Dmatt9

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2020, 09:37:32 PM »
Thanks House Made of Dawn and Mule Ears. Everyone on Bigbendchat is so helpful. Much appreciated.

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2020, 09:42:26 PM »
Thanks House Made of Dawn and Mule Ears. Everyone on Bigbendchat is so helpful. Much appreciated.

:great:  Y'all are going to have such a great time.

Another thing to remember - and this technique will make your hike healthier, lighter, and more pleasant - at each backcountry water source, take the time to collect (and, if necessary, disinfect) enough water so that you can consume approximately a liter, more-or-less, at each of those collection sites. This is in addition to whatever amount you take with you.  Your body can't absorb more than about one liter at any one time, so consuming more than that in one stop is pointless, and actually might make you ill.  But a liter at each stop (particularly in Boot Canyon, again at Fresno Creek, from you cache at Homer Wilson, and then again at your final stop at Boot Canyon) will help keep you well hydrated and, most importantly, keep you from having to carry that water on your back.  Sure, a liter of water is a liter of water, but it's waaaaaay more efficient to carry it distributed through your stomach, gut, and body, than it is to carry it in your pack on your back.  If each of your stops in Boot Canyon is a lunch stop, then that extra liter can simply be what you drink with your meal.

Offline BBC1443

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2020, 10:24:43 PM »
Stalking this thread - two more hiking OML during this weekend too! Thanks for posting, and thanks to everyone for the great information!!

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2020, 06:04:45 AM »

:great:  Y'all are going to have such a great time.

Another thing to remember - and this technique will make your hike healthier, lighter, and more pleasant - at each backcountry water source, take the time to collect (and, if necessary, disinfect) enough water so that you can consume approximately a liter, more-or-less, at each of those collection sites. This is in addition to whatever amount you take with you.  Your body can't absorb more than about one liter at any one time, so consuming more than that in one stop is pointless, and actually might make you ill.  But a liter at each stop (particularly in Boot Canyon, again at Fresno Creek, from you cache at Homer Wilson, and then again at your final stop at Boot Canyon) will help keep you well hydrated and, most importantly, keep you from having to carry that water on your back.  Sure, a liter of water is a liter of water, but it's waaaaaay more efficient to carry it distributed through your stomach, gut, and body, than it is to carry it in your pack on your back.  If each of your stops in Boot Canyon is a lunch stop, then that extra liter can simply be what you drink with your meal.

Called cameling up.  Most folks can't actually drink a whole liter that fast but do drink until you are satisfied.  I would consider it part of the 5 liters a day too.
no shade, no water

Offline LinuxGeek28

• Jack Rabbit
  • Cabin in Terlingua Ranch since 2011
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2020, 09:48:26 AM »
Circling back to the gas can question....  I always carry 4 gallons of extra gas when I take my FJ Cruiser to BB as the cruising range is so short.  But when I take my Forester I never worry about carrying extra gas.  Just make sure you fill up often.  There's gas in Alpine, Marathon, Study Butte, Lajitas, and in the national park near Panther Junction..  Keep your tank topped off, and you'll be fine.  The I think 100 miles is the farthest you will need to go without seeing a gas station.

Offline rogeremeadows

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2020, 05:33:17 PM »
Stalking this thread - two more hiking OML during this weekend too! Thanks for posting, and thanks to everyone for the great information!!

Same for me....Starting the 21 at the basin and going clockwise.

Offline Dmatt9

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2020, 07:25:27 AM »
Just noticed weather report for Thursday predicting NE winds 15-25 in the mountains and 10-15 along the river. We were planning on zone camping that night in lower Juniper Canyon. Anyone have thoughts about whether we should alter plans or just continue with this and “hunker down”?

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2020, 07:58:25 AM »
Just noticed weather report for Thursday predicting NE winds 15-25 in the mountains and 10-15 along the river. We were planning on zone camping that night in lower Juniper Canyon. Anyone have thoughts about whether we should alter plans or just continue with this and “hunker down”?

Looks like a front coming through on Thursday, with gusty winds, but calming down Thursday night.  Big Bend is generally a windy place, I would continue on with the plan.  If you are setting up a tent or tarp just reinforce the stakes with rocks.  You can try and find a protected site, not a lot of choices, down in a wash might give you some wind protection.  The forecast generally looks to be cloudy which makes for pleasant walking in the lower desert.  Here is the NOAA pinpoint forecast for lower Juniper canyon.
no shade, no water

Offline Dmatt9

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2020, 08:16:32 AM »
Thanks Mule Ears, minor adjustments we will make are:  bring tin sheet to use as wind shield for MSR Pocket Rocket Stove, wind pants since wind chill may be a factor, extra tent stakes and line,   Did I overlook anything?  Guess the motto is “Keep calm and carry on”

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2020, 08:36:58 AM »
Thanks Mule Ears, minor adjustments we will make are:  bring tin sheet to use as wind shield for MSR Pocket Rocket Stove, wind pants since wind chill may be a factor, extra tent stakes and line,   Did I overlook anything?  Guess the motto is “Keep calm and carry on”

I always carry a windscreen if nothing else it leads to much greater fuel efficiency.  I believe in MSR groundhog stakes at least for the critical guy lines, you can pound them into really hard stuff and yes you can tie off to the base of creosote or other bushes if needed.

The thing to remember is that weather forecasts for the park are really just a guess, by the time fronts actually get there they sometimes lose their punch.  In January when Robert and I were walking the forecast was for high winds one day and they never materialized and a day that was supposed to be clear after the front turned out to be cloudy with snow in the Chisos.  Once you drop down into that area along the Rio Grande it kind of creates it's own weather patterns.  The most accurate things about the forecasts is the highs and lows.
no shade, no water

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2020, 09:49:12 AM »

The thing to remember is that weather forecasts for the park are really just a guess, by the time fronts actually get there they sometimes lose their punch.  In January when Robert and I were walking the forecast was for high winds one day and they never materialized and a day that was supposed to be clear after the front turned out to be cloudy with snow in the Chisos.  Once you drop down into that area along the Rio Grande it kind of creates it's own weather patterns.  The most accurate things about the forecasts is the highs and lows.

+1.  I think you'll be fine, Dmatt9.  The winds may get gnarly. You might even get some precipitation. But I doubt you'll face anything that'll end or ruin your trip.  Here's a neat OML trip report from EllisB.  She survived a titanic overnight windstorm while camping on the upper reaches of Juniper Canyon late last November during the second night of her trip. Made for a great story.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!