Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

OML during Govt shutdown

• 48 Replies

Offline jtemples

• Roadrunner
OML during Govt shutdown
« on: January 04, 2019, 07:47:25 PM »
To quote a Nike slogan, "Just do it".  (More to follow)  God bless.

Online mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Re: OML during Govt shutdown
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 08:01:08 PM »
To quote a Nike slogan, "Just do it".  (More to follow)  God bless.

Awesome, looking forward to the story.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline robmaz49

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 12:17:19 PM »
Very interested in your report. My wife and I were planning on doing the trail in 2 weeks for my 30th birthday. Been planning for a while now so hopefully smooth sailing!

Offline FiveStar

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 09:36:47 AM »
Also interested in this report.  Planning to arrive at Chisos Basin 4 weeks from today; not terribly encouraged that it'll be open.

Offline devin

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 12:32:02 PM »
Add me to the list of interested parties. I have a trip planned 1/24-1/29. I have to assume it will be over by then, as that would be stretching over a month and the longest one to date was 21 days, but you never know.

Offline jtemples

• Roadrunner
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 07:49:24 PM »
Sorry if I gave ya'll the impression I was hiking it this past weekend, but my wife and I aren't hiking it until late-Feb.  We were concerned about the NPS not issuing back-country camping permits etc due to the govt shutdown, and honestly, after all of the prep work and planning/training/equipping we've done over the past year, we plan to just do it regardless of all the political BS if it's still in effect.  I've read every OML thread on here, and appreciate this great source of info.  Hope I can add to it when I post my trip report, which I will.  Good luck and happy trails to those who get to experience it before we do!  Semper Fi.

Offline FiveStar

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 03:55:59 PM »
I'm not optimistic it'll be open in time for me on Feb. 3rd....I need the campground to be open.  I'll give 'em another week, and then I'm going to have to commit to a Plan B :(

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 04:11:22 PM »
It'll be open by next Monday. You can take it to the bank. Quote me on that.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline jtemples

• Roadrunner
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 07:18:36 PM »
I hope so.  Curious what the price of a federal citation/penalty would be for camping in the back country without a permit.  Anyone know?  I'm not endorsing breaking the law, but if one were to break it and camp in an authorized (non-govt shutdown mode) zone, and get caught, what are the monetary penalties/ramifications?  Lack of any Search and Rescue/med evac services?  I'm probably not the only one with this question. 

Offline jtemples

• Roadrunner
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 07:55:29 PM »
Well, based on what I could research, a violation of NPS regs could result in a fine of up to $5,000 per violation and/or 6 months in jail.  I was thinking/hoping maybe $35 ticket would be the penalty.  We'll be looking at Big Bend Ranch State Park for our plan B, as some others have, if they're not issuing permits. 

Online mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 10:01:30 PM »
I have read in several places that it was $100 per person

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 09:05:11 AM »
I have read in several places that it was $100 per person
Of course, those citations were under ordinary circumstances. I could see them bumping it up during a shutdown, assuming they have control and authority to do so.

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 09:20:40 AM »
It'll be open by next Monday. You can take it to the bank. Quote me on that.

I would tend to agree.  Looks like facts are starting to erode the blinding hatred against all things Trump. 

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/01/10/democrats-crack-on-the-wall/
For 2 years the Fake News Media, Obama's FBI, CIA & DOJ, and Swamp dwelling Politicians COLLUDED, Illegally Spied,and LIED to America about POTUS in order to overturn an election

All the while demanding censorship and removal of opposition Conservative "hate speech" voices.  Globalists Hate Freedom

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 09:29:41 AM »
I did it 5x during 2018 as a dayhike.  It's a lot of fun, not carrying heavy pack and all. 

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 12:10:49 PM »
Another reason to be optimistic that this will soon end:

Heard on the radio, today is the very first time the federal employees affected by the shut down will miss a pay check (except for when the govment was shut down due to the war of 1812).
Meaning, this is the first day the federal employees are feeling ANY sting from ANY shut down.  Ever!  Now that the pain is coming home to Washington DC, things may change........

Now us "unwashed" are not the only ones being inconvenienced. 

ps.  Congress passed a bill on Thursday guaranteeing payback of all lost wages.
For 2 years the Fake News Media, Obama's FBI, CIA & DOJ, and Swamp dwelling Politicians COLLUDED, Illegally Spied,and LIED to America about POTUS in order to overturn an election

All the while demanding censorship and removal of opposition Conservative "hate speech" voices.  Globalists Hate Freedom

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!