Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

OML during Govt shutdown

• 31 Replies

Offline jtemples

• Kangaroo Rat
Re: OML during Govt shutdown
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 06:15:09 PM »
I did it 5x during 2018 as a dayhike.  It's a lot of fun, not carrying heavy pack and all.
I envy you, and certainly what must be your youth in 2018 (I'm 54).

Offline jtemples

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 06:23:17 PM »
I have read in several places that it was $100 per person

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Big Bend Chat mobile app
If I definitively knew the penalty was only $100, I'd have 2 Benjamin's readily-accessible to part with as long as we could continue the journey. 

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 12:31:06 AM »
I did it 5x during 2018 as a dayhike.  It's a lot of fun, not carrying heavy pack and all.

Iím 52 , fat (230 pounds) , 2 bad knees and a bad back. Anybody can do it.

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 09:27:39 AM »

I have seen young people with next to no equipment and in only average physical condition (at best) complete the OML; I have seen young people with quality equipment and in very good physical condition fail. 

I'm 63 and in solid condition (for my age) and have top-flight equipment and I have done the OML 7 or 8 times, once solo; I have helped people in distress get off the OML who also had top-flight equipment and who could run rings around me. 

The variables in the OML success equation are many, varied and subtle.  There is a high failure rate.   

I'm not sure that I can totally agree that "anybody can do it."  "Many people ought to be able to do it" is as far as I can go.

If the light and space put the zap on Mr. Clean's head, I think that the vastness of the Bend and the intensity of the sunshine (which can be draining) puts the zap on the heads of many of those who fail.

An interesting focus for meaningless research would be to (i) identify and (ii) correlate causal factors for OLM failures.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline jtemples

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2019, 04:04:02 PM »

Ha ha.  The OML as a day hike must be mostly head-down rucking.  After having served 21 years in the Corps and enduring many forced marches under heavy loads, a lighter pack and taking several days to absorb the experience, photograph the changing environments etc, sounds much more pleasurable to me (especially since I'll have my wife with me).   

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2019, 04:36:08 PM »
Different strokes for different folks.  I've done plenty of both kinds of hiking.

I've been evolving toward more long-distance stuff, light pack.  Much more enjoyable for me than lugging a heavy pack.  See more stuff for a given time (time is something I don't have a lot of--6 kids, 2 jobs), I find I see a lot more wildlife, especially at night.

Also, opens up a lot more possibilities in terms of doing things; example, it's almost impossible to get a permit for the Enchantments in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness of Washington; doing it as a dayhike (20 miles or so) makes it easy.

Anyway, OML as a dayhike really isn't that hard, for someone who wants to do it.  Lots of possible variations, including Colima or around the NE/SE/SW rim.  I understand your wife won't want to.  Mine wouldn't either.

I don't recommend doing it in August.

Offline StimyJones

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2019, 04:42:51 PM »
I hiked the OML a few weeks ago during the gov't shutdown (Dec 23-25)

I parked in the overflow parking at the Chisos Basin like I normally would have, hiked the OML, and 2.5 days later I arrived back at my car and there was NO CITATION on my car. 

I'm not guaranteeing this kind of luck for anybody but it was just simply worth the risk to me.  I was going to pay whatever fine I incurred.

Has anyone received a citation?

Offline jtemples

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2019, 05:25:56 PM »
Different strokes for different folks.  I've done plenty of both kinds of hiking.

I've been evolving toward more long-distance stuff, light pack.  Much more enjoyable for me than lugging a heavy pack.  See more stuff for a given time (time is something I don't have a lot of--6 kids, 2 jobs), I find I see a lot more wildlife, especially at night.

Also, opens up a lot more possibilities in terms of doing things; example, it's almost impossible to get a permit for the Enchantments in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness of Washington; doing it as a dayhike (20 miles or so) makes it easy.

Anyway, OML as a dayhike really isn't that hard, for someone who wants to do it.  Lots of possible variations, including Colima or around the NE/SE/SW rim.  I understand your wife won't want to.  Mine wouldn't either.

I don't recommend doing it in August.
You already have a heavy load brother (wife and 6 kids)!  No wonder you like to travel far and light when you have time.  Nourishment for the soul.  Some day I may solo the OML, maybe even day hike it, but not during August. 

Offline jtemples

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2019, 05:30:06 PM »
I hiked the OML a few weeks ago during the gov't shutdown (Dec 23-25)

I parked in the overflow parking at the Chisos Basin like I normally would have, hiked the OML, and 2.5 days later I arrived back at my car and there was NO CITATION on my car. 

I'm not guaranteeing this kind of luck for anybody but it was just simply worth the risk to me.  I was going to pay whatever fine I incurred.
How was your trip?

Has anyone received a citation?
How was your trip?

Online House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2019, 12:38:52 PM »
It'll be open by next Monday. You can take it to the bank. Quote me on that.

Ooops. I meant "NEXT next Monday."   :icon_wink:
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline jtemples

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2019, 07:33:48 PM »
It'll be open by next Monday. You can take it to the bank. Quote me on that.

Ooops. I meant "NEXT next Monday."   :icon_wink:
Wasn't holding you to it bro.  Washington is  :willynilly: 

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2019, 09:23:10 AM »
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Jalco

• Black Bear
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2019, 11:14:45 AM »
Gotta love the first comment

"BigBendChat.com always has updated info on the park. Its run by locals and guides."

Online House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2019, 11:59:54 AM »
Gotta love the first comment

"BigBendChat.com always has updated info on the park. Its run by locals and guides."

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline jtemples

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2019, 07:25:20 PM »

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!