Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Latest OML Water Report - ?????????????

• 5 Replies

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
Latest OML Water Report - ?????????????
« on: December 01, 2017, 09:52:51 PM »
A last-minute opportunity has come up to do a December 12-15 counterclockwise OML beginning at the Dodson/Juniper Canyon trailhead. 

The game plan is to a 4/3:
(i) spend Monday night December 11 at Twisted Shoe,
(ii) blast off early AM Tuesday, so that we can get to Boot Canyon camp and then take in some quick Rim views with packs off PM Tuesday,
(iii) on Wednesday go from Boot to the Basin in time for lunch, and then go up Laguna Meadows and get to the bottom of the Blue Creek wall,
(iv) on Thursday get all the way to Smoky Creek 9 (any suggestions for a Smoky Creek camp site?), so that
(v) on Friday we can complete the Dodson.

Boy, would it be nice to water-up at Juniper Spring, the pipe at Boot Canyon, at Fresno Creek, and possibly in the area behind Laguna West (after also picking up water at the Basin and at the cache box at Homer Wilson). 

Boy, would it also be nice to have some of JALCO's wife's fruitcake bars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But all I can really hope for is an up-to-date water report - anybody got anything??

Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline Jalco

• Black Bear
Re: Latest OML Water Report - ?????????????
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 10:59:41 PM »
Boy, would it also be nice to have some of JALCO's wife's fruitcake bars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL!  Now I understand why I was invited along.  She promised to make me some next week.  Stop by on your way out to the Bend and I'll slip a few into your bag  :great:

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 05:14:37 AM »
I would assume a report will come along before you head out and if not from what we have seen this fall so far, I would count on Fresno and Upper Juniper, and at least the pools in Boot canyon but the spring pipe you should be able to pry a report out of the rangers for that.  I would not spend the time and energy to try and get water from upper Cattail.  Sorry I will miss you but I will be deep in the backcountry south of the Dodson and not coming out until the 16th.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline horns93

• Roadrunner
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 09:27:47 AM »
I plan to do my first OML that same week the 13th-15th so I am looking for an update as well, especially Boot Canyon. The BiBe weather forecast has some chances for rain later this week so that would help.

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 09:34:26 AM »
Campsites   https://mapper.acme.com/?ll=29.20363,-103.32487&z=15&t=T&marker0=29.20628%2C-103.33476%2C5.3%20km%20SW%20of%20Emory%20Peak%20TX&marker1=29.20649%2C-103.33231%2C5.2%20km%20SxSW%20of%20Emory%20Peak%20TX&marker2=29.20176%2C-103.31663%2C5.0%20km%20SxSW%20of%20Emory%20Peak%20TX&marker3=29.20127%2C-103.31655%2C5.1%20km%20SxSW%20of%20Emory%20Peak%20TX

Traveling west to east:

First spot (H) has two good spots that are flat but the grass will have to be cleared if no one has been there recently.

Second spot (B) is the old Ocotillo campsite and is big enough for two small tents next to each other.

Last two spots (E and D) are big and flat.  Easily seen and usually already clear.  A little further than the first, but these would be my first choice if you have the time to make it there.  Best view too.  Definitely less than an hour from Smokey creek trail and about 1.5 - 2 hours to Fresno water
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 09:43:58 AM by elhombre »
The Tolerant Left  Masters of the Universe at Apple, Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest, Criteo, Vimeo and Spotify removed Alex Jones and other conservative voices.  Liberals control every newspaper and cable network except Fox.  They so want to control the Internet and talk radio

May God bless America

Offline cajunlimeys

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 09:38:29 AM »
Thanks for the info!  I plan to do OML clockwise from Dec 16th with my son - though hoping to get a couple of days at first in the mountains.  It's very valuable to get a clear water plan shared - many thanks for that.  Fresno, Upper Juniper, and the pools should suffice - supplementing what we carry...  THANKS!!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!