Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Outer Mountain Loop questions

• 4 Replies

Offline rlm

• Kangaroo Rat
Outer Mountain Loop questions
« on: January 13, 2008, 03:12:13 PM »
I have gone through many of the old threads with great information on this hike but had a couple of questions. We are hiking from the basin on pinnacles to juniper to dodson, etc.

Where do we cache water at Juniper Canyon? Is there a bear box available here?

Any suggestions for a campsite on the Blue Creek trail? I remember seeing an old post regarding a cave that sounded interesting. How far from the Homer Wilson ranch is this?

thanks
rlm

Offline JodyH

• Jack Rabbit
Re: Outer Mountain Loop questions
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 03:41:14 PM »
Where do we cache water at Juniper Canyon? Is there a bear box available here?
At the end of the Juniper canyon road is a large bear box.

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • I'd rather be on the South Rim
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 08:27:58 PM »
Best camping along Blue Creek Trail is near Cedar Spring, about 1/3 of the way up. There isn't much in the way of camping between the spring and the zone camping boundary.
Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

"We'll be back, someday soon. We will return, someday, and when we do the gritty
splendor and the complicated grandeur of Big Bend will still be here. Waiting for us."--Ed Abbey

Offline bbbrain

• Coyote
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 09:01:31 PM »
  you might want to pick up the trails illustrated map when you get there, or have tony get it if he gets there before closing time.  also, it looks like you might encounter a bit of a cold front.

Offline sleepy

• Black Bear
  • i'm not a terrorist
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 09:12:11 PM »
bear box at Juniper Canyon.  Shouldn't be anyone camping there to dispute your drop.  mark you pick up date.  we stashed ours down the trail some.  make sure and put water at Homer Wilson, as well.   Sweet trip.  Remember to look up, when you stop walking, that is.

It's never too late to be what you might have been-Geroge Elliot

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!