Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Possible OML trip Feb 28th-March 3rd

• 3 Replies

Offline Kilo19

• Kangaroo Rat
Possible OML trip Feb 28th-March 3rd
« on: February 01, 2019, 09:25:54 AM »
Hopefully this time around I've got more friends on board to come with for an OML trip. Wanted to get thoughts on this time of year?

Something specific: for those that are T1D, what did you bring, not bring, wish you brought. I usually bring an extensive kit incase my pump fails (which has happened, just sitting at home, don't want that happening 15 miles into the trail 1hr away from civilization).

In the past I've brought syringes, bottle of insulin, glucose tabs, sugar packets, glucose meter, extra battery for pump, and meter, infusion sets (i also put a new infusion set on before I go on a trip, that way i have a fresh one so no issues come to light. has worked so far). In past trips (goodwater loop in georgetown, tx) i've made my own trail mix to keep my BS up with all the hiking, what do you bring, make, eat?

I use a very tiny, lightweight meter, pharmacy brand that was on sale, I have a medtronic 730g pump with CGM Sensor/guardian.

Thanks for the help and hope to see you out there.
Trail on.
Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning, think what may be the end. Edward Whymper.

Offline trevor.steen

• Kangaroo Rat
Re: Possible OML trip Feb 28th-March 3rd
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 04:36:02 PM »
Can't offer much in terms of your actual question, I came here to post about doing an OML trip those same days and saw this.  Maybe see you out there.

I am planning to camp in Chisos Basin the 28th and then doing the loop Fri, Sat, Sun.

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • I'd rather be on the South Rim
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 05:21:21 PM »
I would err on the side of taking something that could save my life.

As you plan your trip, consider the unlikely scenario that you will become injured broken leg, say and you're not just one day from reaching help on your own, but three or more. That puts a lot of stress on anyone as a survival situation. In your case, Kilo19, you have an added layer of risk.

It is totally worth it to carry extra life-saving supplies that you don't end up needing.

That said, I can't advise on the specifics of Type 1 care. Use your best judgment.

And HAVE FUN!
Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

"We'll be back, someday soon. We will return, someday, and when we do the gritty
splendor and the complicated grandeur of Big Bend will still be here. Waiting for us."--Ed Abbey

Offline Kilo19

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 09:29:15 AM »
I would err on the side of taking something that could save my life.

As you plan your trip, consider the unlikely scenario that you will become injured broken leg, say and you're not just one day from reaching help on your own, but three or more. That puts a lot of stress on anyone as a survival situation. In your case, Kilo19, you have an added layer of risk.

It is totally worth it to carry extra life-saving supplies that you don't end up needing.

That said, I can't advise on the specifics of Type 1 care. Use your best judgment.

And HAVE FUN!

Having diabetes for 21 yrs now I've learned to bring what I need, I'll beit sometimes too much, but in this case if I bring too much and come home with extra then I did good. I've car camped out in the middle of nowhere for a week, where a drive took 30 mins (I know not the same) I've MTB'd where there it took several hours to get my insulin cartridge refilled...not a fun trip. But thats what emergency shots are for. I've picked up a few tricks here and there. I do appreciate your concern/help, nice to have someone give there concerns for another's health and well being.

All that said, our group has decided to go to Guadalupe Peak instead, so my time on the trail is on hold...I will be out there this year...thats my goal.
Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning, think what may be the end. Edward Whymper.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!