Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

solo hike of OML 2/28-3/2

• 6 Replies

Offline miatarchy04

• Kangaroo Rat
solo hike of OML 2/28-3/2
« on: March 05, 2018, 04:54:56 PM »
I solo hiked the OML Feb. 28 to March 2.
Iíve already typed out trip reports which the computer has lost, so Iím taking the precaution of typing this as a word document that I can cut and paste. Forgive its brevity.
I left Austin early 2/27, got to Panther Junction, got the necessary permits, dropped water at HW ranch, then car camped at the Basin Campground where I was lucky enough to reserve a spot two weeks prior. It rained that night but everything seemed to dry quickly the next morning.
I found water upstream from Boot Spring. Didnít check Juniper Spring because I was running behind. I found water in both Dodson Spring and Fresno Creek.  My camping was done near the junction of Juniper Springs Trail and Dodson on night one and Homer Wilson Ranch vicinity on night two. This required hikes of over 10 hours on day one and 12 hours on day two.  Those are poor ets but Iím 65 years old and didnít mean to set any records.
I was totally beat after the third day of over Blue Creek and Laguna Meadows trails but the tremendous expenditure of effort made for a tremendous sense of accomplishment.
I encountered adverse weather: Rain, High Winds and Cold Temps, but fortunately not all at the same time.
This is a tough hike. Anyone my age who wants to repeat my experience should carefully assess their physical fitness. Study the FAQ here and read the trip reports. If you can find a partner do so.

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
Re: solo hike of OML 2/28-3/2
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 06:33:54 PM »
A hearty congratulations on a job well done! Thanks for the trip report.

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 06:34:56 PM »
Iíve already typed out trip reports which the computer has lost, so Iím taking the precaution of typing this as a word document that I can cut and paste. Forgive its brevity.
I left Austin early 2/27, got to Panther Junction, got the necessary permits, dropped water at HW ranch, then car camped at the Basin Campground where I was lucky enough to reserve a spot two weeks prior. It rained that night but everything seemed to dry quickly the next morning.
I found water upstream from Boot Spring. Didnít check Juniper Spring because I was running behind. I found water in both Dodson Spring and Fresno Creek.  My camping was done near the junction of Juniper Springs Trail and Dodson on night one and Homer Wilson Ranch vicinity on night two. This required hikes of over 10 hours on day one and 12 hours on day two.  Those are poor ets but Iím 65 years old and didnít mean to set any records.
I was totally beat after the third day of over Blue Creek and Laguna Meadows trails but the tremendous expenditure of effort made for a tremendous sense of accomplishment.
I encountered adverse weather: Rain, High Winds and Cold Temps, but fortunately not all at the same time.
This is a tough hike. Anyone my age who wants to repeat my experience should carefully assess their physical fitness. Study the FAQ here and read the trip reports. If you can find a partner do so.

Great Report.  Good Job!  Was this you first Bend trip?
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 06:36:34 PM »
Say - didn't you attempt a Rancherias Loop last year?
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Online House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 11:01:15 PM »

An architect who drives a Miata? Anyhoo....whatever you drive and whatever you do, that was an excellent report. Brevity is the soul of wit. Wise advice for anyone attempting the OML. Rock on, miatarchy, you did it well.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline mule ears

• Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 06:33:59 AM »
Well done and thanks for reporting back!  I too will create trip reports in a word document and then cut and paste, much easier and safer.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline miatarchy04

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 08:30:21 AM »
Say - didn't you attempt a Rancherias Loop last year?

Yes, good memory. That was a 3 day, 2 night hike that became a 2 day , 1 night hike because my sleeping bag fell off my pack.
No, this was not my first Big Bend trip. I did a 46 hour 2 night Southwest rim hike a couple of years ago and lots of day hikes. I try to get out to West Texas at least once a year. I did Gumo in October, so maybe I can make it twice a year.  I only took up backpacking when I retired so I'm only a step above novice status. But I learn something on each trip, either about backpacking or myself, usually both.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!